Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-08-2018, 03:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Sure, but the even further drop an Ah reserve is greater then the weight saved.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-45 w/L18
Grantman - go to the "Electrical" forum and find the thread I created between 30 and 60 days ago. I compare all the major marine/deep-cycle batteries, so you'll get an idea of the AH ratings you can obtain
Old 06-01-2018, 08:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X30 3,000
Definitely yellow top battery... and capacitors are good depending on how much of a system you have... mine is comp. grade so i have a 5-farad cap.

(2 jl 12w7s, jl 1000/1 amp, jl 300/4 amp, 4 boston pro z6 speakers, alpine ivad300 head unit, etc)

__________________________________________________ _____________
There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more or less solved.
All the best,Beniel Diceus

Last edited by Beniel; 07-23-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantman View Post
Thanks for the info! Could I just replace the 6v batteries with 2 12v and run them in parallel to get the same amount of power? How does that work?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Each manufacturer has the reserve info on the page for each battery but the fact remains-your charging system needs to be able to handle the load of multiple batteries. If you ignore that, you will have problems and it's likely that you'll be stranded at some point.

How does it work? In parallel, the voltage remains the same, assuming the batteries are electrically identical. Not close, not one new and one old, identical. If one has been fully discharged, its internal resistance will be different and the load will not be balanced. The reserve capacity of one battery is added to that of the second battery, assuming the cables won't present some resistance that could cause decreased charging voltage/current.

In series, the voltage adds, reserve remains at the average of the batteries.

The first thing I would do is check the alternator and charging lead, to make sure they're up for the task. If not, make the needed changes. If you goal is to decrease the weight of the batteries, long reserve time makes that difficult because lightweight batteries are expensive.

I just looked and high output alternators are available for far less than in the past. Used to be that the 150A models started around $500 and now, a 200A model is less than $250.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by btriantos View Post
Dry cells that have 2250ahrs so practically 3x the standard batteries. Not cheap though

https://stingerelectronics.com/catalog/batteries/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That battery is only 120Ah not 2250. The 2250A number is the maximum current the battery can put out for only 5 seconds and it doesn't indicate anything about the capacity of the battery. I'm sure these are good batteries and the max current spec is interesting as it indicates a low internal resistance which is good for audio applications, but the capacity is on par with most other brands. Meaning that this battery won't operate a stereo any longer than any other battery with at 120Ah rating.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-45 w/L18
Here, go look at the PDF file in this post:
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=84516
Old 06-01-2018, 08:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunra View Post
That battery is only 120Ah not 2250. The 2250A number is the maximum current the battery can put out for only 5 seconds and it doesn't indicate anything about the capacity of the battery. I'm sure these are good batteries and the max current spec is interesting as it indicates a low internal resistance which is good for audio applications, but the capacity is on par with most other brands. Meaning that this battery won't operate a stereo any longer than any other battery with at 120Ah rating.

Yeah, I misread that.. itís cold cranking amps. However, running the stereo for 45-60 mins doesnít put a dent in the power load. They are nice... and act like caps

Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 PM
MC Devotee

for a house bank, CCA are like teats on a boar.

#saynotoCAPs
Old 06-01-2018, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
for a house bank, CCA are like teats on a boar.

#saynotoCAPs

Agreed, but you gotta try these batts. They take a bit of time to recharge, but they are good for the whole day. I can listen to Music at high level, filling ballast, while only idling, showing 14v... but I have three of these

Old 06-01-2018, 09:12 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by btriantos View Post
Agreed, but you gotta try these batts. They take a bit of time to recharge, but they are good for the whole day. I can listen to Music at high level, filling ballast, while only idling, showing 14v... but I have three of these

I dont doubt you, but an Ah is an Ah. Theres no magical way for one 120Ah battery to last longer then the other guys 120Ah battery.

A gallon is a gallon whether is water or whiskey

Tags
6v batteries, batteries, stereo