Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197 2003, MCX engine
New to the forum...very stiff gear/throttle shifter

Greetings from Canada,
Although not new to the world of Mastercraft boats (I am totally addicted to these boats...my wife says I have a problem, a big problem Jerry...!) I am new to this forum.

I have a 2003 Prostar 197 and of late the steering has become very stiff so I diagnosed it to a new cable requirement...ordered.

But my question du jour is about the shift lever. It is crazy stiff from neutral engaging forward or reverse, then becomes fine. I ran out of time yesterday so wasn't able to disconnect the cable at the transmission which would, of course, isolate at the least the cable or shifter.
But also, I wanted to disassemble the shifter lever and mechanism but couldn't get the shift lever removed. It is logical that the small phillips screw at the base (middle of the neutral idle throttle button) needs to be removed, but then do I need a puller to pull it off? It almost seems pressed on but given the button in the middle, I imagine some custom type of puller is needed to get it off.
Thank you in advance for any guidance here.

Manfred.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Welcome to the forum Manfred!
Can't really help with the shifter as i never had to remove one.
Ski partner have same boat as you but 06.He will be to the lake this week end will look at it if you don't have more infos before.
Could be slow here today being the Fourth...
Where are you in Canada ?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM
TT Newbie

Oh, of course....I forgot today's date. Thanks for your quick reply. I am in Ottawa and although a short season (4 months of skiing max) my buds and I are rabid.
Where are you?
I am excited to learn more about my boat from a technical perspective and to get engaged in this community.
Happy 4th to y'all.
Cheers, M.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:29 AM
TT Newbie

Good morning Andre,
I was away for a couple of days and just see that you are in Sherbrooke area...lovely. Hopefully you are getting some decent weather there finally too.
I did not get any replies other than yours to my post....being the 4th, as you suggested.
I am still trying to figure out how the shifter is assembled so I can take it apart so if you or a buddy can shed any light on this I would be grateful. Do you know of any 'junk yards' where wrecked boats go....? I looked in the forum here for parts but didn't find anything.
Thanks again for your thoughts on this and enjoy the summer!
Kind regards,

Manfred.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
There is one boat junk yard about an hour away but doubt they have any MC there.
Will look at my friend's boat this week end.
Did you had a chance to disconnect the cable to isolate the problem and engage/disengage manually the transmission ?
Never read about someone having to replace shift lever...

Bump for a new Team Talk member!!!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
manfred can you post a pic of your shifter?

prolly needs a bit of grease on the other side part you see.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
A little late to the thread, but are you sure it's a throttle lever problem and not a throttle cable issue? We had our engine serviced recently and the throttle felt very stiff inbetween WOT and idle to where it was very hard to control speed. Ended up being that they had moved the cable into a slightly incorrect position, moved it back and it was good as new.
2017 B1G Champions
Old 07-07-2017, 03:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
Greetings from Canada,
Although not new to the world of Mastercraft boats (I am totally addicted to these boats...my wife says I have a problem, a big problem Jerry...!) I am new to this forum.

I have a 2003 Prostar 197 and of late the steering has become very stiff so I diagnosed it to a new cable requirement...ordered.

But my question du jour is about the shift lever. It is crazy stiff from neutral engaging forward or reverse, then becomes fine. I ran out of time yesterday so wasn't able to disconnect the cable at the transmission which would, of course, isolate at the least the cable or shifter.
But also, I wanted to disassemble the shifter lever and mechanism but couldn't get the shift lever removed. It is logical that the small phillips screw at the base (middle of the neutral idle throttle button) needs to be removed, but then do I need a puller to pull it off? It almost seems pressed on but given the button in the middle, I imagine some custom type of puller is needed to get it off.
Thank you in advance for any guidance here.

Manfred.
There is 1 more screw you have to take out. Yes, remove the one on the bottom like you did, then also remove the 1 in the middle of your neutral button. The neutral button should pull out, then the throttle lever should pull out, no puller necessary.

Once the handle is off there is a small Allen head set screw that adjusts the friction in the throttle mechanism. I really doubt this is your problem though as you said it moves easy once it is in gear. Sounds like either a linkage problem or a cable problem. If you pull the trim panel off you can look behind it to get to the linkages and try to lube them, or check the cable. It's probably the cable.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:49 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks

Thank you! I'm heading to the lake tomorrow and will pull the lever apart and take a peek. It can only be a stiff lever, seizing cable or misalignment as you all suggest.
I'll report back with findings.
Have a great weekend.