Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2015, 04:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '10 X-14v
So, you lost it near the launch ramp? That's a pretty defined area. A diver with a metal detector should be able to find it pretty quickly. My wife lost her wedding ring in a sandy beach break. Took one guy with a metal detector and snorkel gear 45 mins to find it under 3" of sand in chest deep water and breaking waves. We gave him a defined area and he at up some sticks on the beach for reference and then just worked a grip pattern.
Good luck.

2010 X-14v, 1995 CC Ski Nautique
previous
2001 MC Prostar 190,
1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
1984 CC Ski Nautique,
1979 CC Ski Tique
Old 06-11-2015, 09:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
sorry to hear this. did the brackets come off the back of the boat also or just the brackets that were attached to the platform.

if you can't find your original platform you could build one from teak. I have a pair of the platform brackets that I would be more than glad to sell you.
If it were me, I would replace with a teak platform and continue searching for the fibreglass platfrom. Teakworld sells them new or you can find used ones for sale occasionally.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x30
My platform on my 08 x30 is very loose when you step on it,it goes down a few inches is this normal? Did yours do this before it fell off.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
sorry to hear this. did the brackets come off the back of the boat also or just the brackets that were attached to the platform.

if you can't find your original platform you could build one from teak. I have a pair of the platform brackets that I would be more than glad to sell you.
The brackets on the back of the boat are still intact so I just need the brackets that were attached to the platform. I found a dive shop about 45 minutes drive from the lake, tomorrow I will call and see if they are interested. If not I would be very interested in purchasing your brackets. I'll let you know.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdstukey View Post
So, you lost it near the launch ramp? That's a pretty defined area. A diver with a metal detector should be able to find it pretty quickly. My wife lost her wedding ring in a sandy beach break. Took one guy with a metal detector and snorkel gear 45 mins to find it under 3" of sand in chest deep water and breaking waves. We gave him a defined area and he at up some sticks on the beach for reference and then just worked a grip pattern.
Good luck.
Yea off he end of the ramp. I am going to call the dive shop tomorrow and see if I can drum up some interest in searching for it.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_kc13 View Post
My platform on my 08 x30 is very loose when you step on it,it goes down a few inches is this normal? Did yours do this before it fell off.
No, not really. It was a bit loose but I only ever noticed it moving up or down a fraction of an inch. I had spring pins in place to hold the platform as well. It is a bit of a mystery.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
good luck with the dive. hopefully they find your platform.

just let me know if you need the brackets.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X23 6000GDI - Previous 2014 Gen2 X25 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraft13 View Post
As a diver, I know the ones whom are trained in search and recovery would definitely be up for this task. Don't really need visibility because you search in patterns and it is based off feel in low visibility. They are more excited about these jobs then the usual body search and recovery jobs.
Those divers have brass ones.

I got scuba certified in about 1 foot visibility and I can tell you, that is essentially terrifying.

Dark as hell. Muddy bottom. Can't see the instructor or the hand in front of your face.

It's like something out of a horror flick.

I'm certified and I'd go buy a new one before I went in to get it in a fresh water murky lake. If some of these ex navy seals want to dive for it, then my opinion of them being the biggest bada**'s in the world goes up a notch.

Worth a try- less expensive for you and they might get a kick out of it. I get chills thinking about it.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Current - 2015 X-10; Prior 2007 215/x-15
I was on a public safety dive team for 25 years. Began as a rescue/recovery diver and ended as the team's trainer in 2011. This would be right up my alley.

If you hire a diver, first make sure at a minimum they bring another diver for safety. A diver that dives without a safety diver is an accident waiting to happen. Second, make sure they are going to search by running a defined rope "pattern" rather then running a compass heading. This means that the diver holds onto a rope, tightens it by moving out from shore, and then swims the pattern while searching. If the water is murkey, there is no way to see to keep your compass heading and they will be wasting time. They are more likely to miss your deck.

This thing should be simple to find as long as you give them a good last-seen point (LSP). But be aware that flat, plywood-like items such as this have a tendancy to "fly" underwater rather than sink straight to the bottom. So your search area will be much larger than limited only to your LSP.

An easy pattern for searching from a shoreline is what we call a 180 (half-circle) or sweep pattern, where the diver starts a few feet out from shore in the LSP area, makes a sweep, is given more line to go out (2-4ft), reverses direction, and goes back the other way. Imagine a windshield wiper.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice guys. I haven't been able to get any serious takers on the scuba thing. The lake is pretty remote, and there just aren't that many scuba divers around, and they are all recreational with no training in this type of recovery.

I am going to go down the path of replacement. Teakworld has a pretty decent deal on teak platforms and I think that might be my best option.

TTU I am interested in buying your brackets. Thats going to be the quickest path to a solution. I may build a temporary platform out of plywood until teakworld can build me a proper one. Or I may try building my own out of teak. Either way it all starts with the brackets.