Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-06-2018, 06:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft prostar 190 2004
2004 Prostar 190 stereo help

Our prostar didnít come with a stereo, so Iím looking to install a headunit and 4 speakers for now (amp to follow), but Iím struggling to figure out how to wire the headunit. Iíve read that even though my boat didnít come with a stereo, the wiring should be still be there. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look for? The unit Iím trying to install is a Rockville RGHR2.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
The component will dictate the wiring more then the boat. Is the tech support at rockville have any assistance to offer? What I mean is, if a 2004 boat was pre-wired, it would have been pre-wire for what the factory had in mind for 2004. This is 2018 and rockville was not around in 2004.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I havenít tried contacting them yet. I wasnít sure if there was something simple I was missing...my first time installing something like. This unit has a black, red, yellow, and blue wire Iím trying to find a home for.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Quote:
This unit has a black, red, yellow, and blue wire Iím trying to find a home for.
Black = ground (negative)
Red = accessory power. Connect to switched power (provide 12volts when key is on)
Yellow = constant on power. (12 volts all of the time) this provides power for things like memory pre-sets for programming channels and a clock if it has it.
Blue = 12 volts out. This powers an automatic antenna or turns on an external amp.

Note, these are the standard color uses. You should be able to find a description in the directions or at least on line.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:22 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks. You’re right. The instructions labeled the wires like you mentioned. Right now I have the yellow connected to the positive post/terminal under the dash and then the black connected to the negative bar/terminal and have it working. Will look to fine tune this. From here would I connect the red wire to an accessory switch or the ignition and then once I get an amp the blue to the amp?

Tags
headunit, prostar 190, stereo