Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Exclamation ’93 Prostar 190 Prop Issue

Hello everyone. I had my boat on the Arkansas river today and hit something with my prop. I wasn’t sure if I had hit anything with the prop but when I accelerated to about 10 mph the boat would start shaking. I got it out of the water and examined the damage and my prop was tore up (about a half inch missing from two out of three blades. Do you guys/gals think this is only a prop replacement or is there possibility it is damaged internally and if so how would I know? Obviously I can buy new prop and test but that will be at least a week or so. Thanks for taking the time to read and God Bless.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraft_man View Post
Hello everyone. I had my boat on the Arkansas river today and hit something with my prop. I wasn’t sure if I had hit anything with the prop but when I accelerated to about 10 mph the boat would start shaking. I got it out of the water and examined the damage and my prop was tore up (about a half inch missing from two out of three blades. Do you guys/gals think this is only a prop replacement or is there possibility it is damaged internally and if so how would I know? Obviously I can buy new prop and test but that will be at least a week or so. Thanks for taking the time to read and God Bless.
Assuming your 93 has a 1" diameter shaft:

My first guess is your prop suffered most if not all of the damage but you should do a visual on the strut to be straight. If that is OK, the shaft is likely OK.

The shudder / vibration you describe is a common symptom of prop damage, saying that to make a point; even a small ding in a prop can throw a vibration as well.

Look here for what I would recommend or you can also shop OJ Props. Either place will get you a prop out same day. Your prop needs to be a LH (left hand) prop. Unless you have a gear reduction transmission you will have a 1" diameter shaft (most likely).

To your question; the only way to really know is to put on a new prop (or borrow one for a quick-hit test) but if you have not noticed any further damage (bent strut or fiberglass / gel damage to the hull) you're likely good to go. The only way to discover further damage (beyond visual inspection) is to get the prop and see how it works. Otherwise, further damage (to diagnose and repair) is not a huge deal other than down time (all DIY work) and budget impact.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-22-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Assuming your 93 has a 1" diameter shaft:

My first guess is your prop suffered most if not all of the damage but you should do a visual on the strut to be straight. If that is OK, the shaft is likely OK.

The shudder / vibration you describe is a common symptom of prop damage, saying that to make a point; even a small ding in a prop can throw a vibration as well.

Look here for what I would recommend or you can also shop OJ Props. Either place will get you a prop out same day. Your prop needs to be a LH (left hand) prop. Unless you have a gear reduction transmission you will have a 1" diameter shaft (most likely).

To your question; the only way to really know is to put on a new prop (or borrow one for a quick-hit test) but if you have not noticed any further damage (bent strut or fiberglass / gel damage to the hull) you're likely good to go. The only way to discover further damage (beyond visual inspection) is to get the prop and see how it works. Otherwise, further damage (to diagnose and repair) is not a huge deal other than down time (all DIY work) and budget impact.

Thanks for your advice. By visual inspection the shaft is still straight and the shaft to transmission connection looks fine when the prop is turned in neutral. I’ll get a prop and go from there. Again, thanks.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Visual unfortunately doesn't always hack it.

Tags
advice needed, prop, prostar 190, repair