Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 PM
tmacx2's Avatar
tmacx2 tmacx2 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 297
Original tires worth keeping?

I have a 1992 Camaro Z28 convertible and I'm the original owner. It only has 14,000 miles on it and I have only ever driven it around town. It still has the original tires on it with very little wear on them. I know I should have replaced them long ago but plan on doing so this spring. I may sell it sometime in the future, probably when it's at least 25 years old and hopefully becomes more valuable. My question is, is there any value in having the original tires to a car like this when you sell it or should I just get rid of them?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Rockman's Avatar
Rockman Rockman is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: '95 BF200 Yamaha ProV 200, '94 PS190 LT1 1:1
Location: SW Burbs of Chi-Town
Posts: 3,413
I had the same car except a hard top...Medium Quasar Blue. Car was fast but I did a bunch of mods to it.

Due to the age of the tires, get new ones for the times you are gonna drive it and just hang onto the old tires and find a spot in your garage in keep them in plastic bags. You can get these from any tire place.

Would be cool to have the original tires if you sell the car down the line but get new ones for driving...

POST SOME PICS!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Hammer's Avatar
Hammer Hammer is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Location: South Central Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,358
If you have the extra space maybe. But honestly, I'm not sure if it would bring more money with them. At 25 years old, a 92 Z28 with 14K on the clock is a driver. But that's just my opinion. Though if it was a 95 T/A black six speed it would be worth more to me. That was the first NEW car I bought.
__________________
______________________________

You look like I need a beer!
2001 Prostar 195 Sold
2011 Ski Nautique 200 Current
2007 X45 LY6 Current
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 PM
waterlogged882 waterlogged882 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 93 190
Location: lake
Posts: 11,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
If you have the extra space maybe. But honestly, I'm not sure if it would bring more money with them. At 25 years old, a 92 Z28 with 14K on the clock is a driver. But that's just my opinion. Though if it was a 95 T/A black six speed it would be worth more to me. That was the first NEW car I bought.
Do you still have the original tires?
__________________
John 3:16-18
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2015, 07:42 PM
WakePowell WakePowell is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: Mastercraft X-Series
Location: Te-X-as
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacx2 View Post
I have a 1992 Camaro Z28 convertible and I'm the original owner. It only has 14,000 miles on it and I have only ever driven it around town. It still has the original tires on it with very little wear on them. I know I should have replaced them long ago but plan on doing so this spring. I may sell it sometime in the future, probably when it's at least 25 years old and hopefully becomes more valuable. My question is, is there any value in having the original tires to a car like this when you sell it or should I just get rid of them?
I would keep them. Today we pay a large premium for original tire from the mid-sixty's through early seventy's. I've seen good original non-DOT bias-ply tires sell for well over $1,000/ea.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 17,197
If you've got room, keep them. If anything, their condition shows that the car hasn't been bagged or abused.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2015, 09:58 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 17,248
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Get rid of the tires.... after 6 years tires are no longer safe... there are unpredictable...
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 PM
tmacx2's Avatar
tmacx2 tmacx2 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 297


This is the only pic of it on my computer. It's a 25th anniversary with all the badging and has a 305, V8, the largest motor they would put in a convertible at that time. I would think that an average of 600 miles/year on a 23 year old car wouldn't be considered a driver. Hoping it increases in value once it's 25+ years old, not that I'm looking to get rid of it. Saw on Mecum where 2 Z28's went for 24 and 28k in 2011. Haven't seen any on there after 2011. Got plenty of OCD practice on this before I got the Mastercraft.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2015, 11:12 PM
orbeamlb's Avatar
orbeamlb orbeamlb is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,284
Very nice Z-28!!! A guy had a white '92 RS convertible with 17K miles at the car show I entered today.

Definitely put new tires on it and store the original tires if you have room. It should be a bonus having the OEM tires to include if you sell it down the road.
__________________
Mike B
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-15-2015, 01:21 AM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 17,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
If you've got room, keep them. If anything, their condition shows that the car hasn't been bagged or abused.
I should've clarified that you should put new tires on it, but keep the originals.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.