Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 06:08 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Jaz Jugs.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JAZ-Products/J...58176/10002/-1

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
VP racing jugs with clear hose spouts......

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30, MCX 350 w/ GoSurfAssist
I think what will work best for you likely depends on your situation and what is available to you.

I have the 28 Gal Gas Caddy and it is perfect for my needs. We have a flat lot (I can definitely see where stairs would be an issue) and the boat stays on a lift so it is pretty easy to get it back and forth. Loading on a truck isn't an issue (I have unloaded it from my truck when full and it wasnt so bad) as we have a 600 gal tank where I have fuel delivered several times a year. I use the Caddy to transport from the tank to the boat.

Depending on your circumstances (do you have a garage to store it and a way to transport it and what is your terrain), a Caddy may work very well for you.

One major consideration no one has brought up is the primary reason I bring in fuel in bulk and Caddy it - Ethanol. There are few things that can reak havoc on a boat like Ethanol gas can so I bring in Ethanol free fuel.

Depending on what you want to spend and your circumstances (do you have somewhere to put it and can u get it down to your dock), there is another option I've toyed with - a fuel trailer - essentially a standalone trailer with a 100-300 gallon tank and a pump. I've seen these used for as little as $500 - 1000 but you could pay a lot more. You just have to hunt them.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
Just have to chime in on everyone complaining about the duramax flo'n'go.

With the stock wheels yes it's terrible on sand or gravel. I removed the wheels and I strapped it to this hand truck from northern: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6447_200596447

This setup works great over gravel sand or grass. I did have replace the hose and the hand pump is cheap, but if I'm going to be pulling tubers all day it beats carrying 4 5 gallon cans down.

having said that....
if it's just me and my ski partner, we'll just bring a 5 gallon jug and siphon it in. We don't care if it's full, just need enough for two sets. And to echo others, we use the shaker siphone
Old 11-24-2014, 05:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft Prostar 5.7
We used the 20 gal from Overtons. Worked extremely well for our needs (rolled through grass). We did build a 2 foot tall box w/ramp that gave some extra gravity and allowed the tank to be completely emptied. I would recommend it to others depending on the trip from your truck to dock. Saves a lot of time carrying cans back and forth.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 PM

@TMacx2:

I am an owner at a private lake now and had the same dilemma. Best price I found for the Duramax Flo-n-Go 14 gal can was at Northern Tool. Academy runs specials, as well, but like Best Buy, the jerks take things OFF sale after they close on Saturday.

Pros:

1. 14 gallons, one container
2. No spill
3. less debris can get into the container than a 5 gal can
4. filling it is far easier because you dont have to bend down to fill it
5. using the rope keeper to keep the handle pressed means u dont have to hold the can to fill the tank

Cons:

1. Full, it weighs 100# + whatever the dry weight was
2. the hose is cheap and kinks – easy fix if you replace it or u just adjust it while pumping
3. there is always a residual amount of gas that will not come out
4. the nozzle take a good amount of pressure to squeeze. Even if you’re strong, it does get annoying. I use a rope keeper to hold it pressed.

Overall, I am pleased with the gas caddy – it definitely has high and low points, but at the end of the day, far better than the 5 gal cans. With the dock being higher than the boat while dropped in the lake, the gravity keeps if flowing

MC

PS – remember some marinas will not allow portable gas containers due to fire / explosion risk.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
5 gallon jugs plus this

http://www.superjiggler.com/

Can get any brand as they all go buy magic siphon I believe. Put the gas can on the sun pad and dont fight it with tipping and pouring. I can do 10 gallons in about 5 mins. Super easy and no mess.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
@TMacx2:

I am an owner at a private lake now and had the same dilemma. Best price I found for the Duramax Flo-n-Go 14 gal can was at Northern Tool. Academy runs specials, as well, but like Best Buy, the jerks take things OFF sale after they close on Saturday.

Pros:

1. 14 gallons, one container
2. No spill
3. less debris can get into the container than a 5 gal can
4. filling it is far easier because you dont have to bend down to fill it
5. using the rope keeper to keep the handle pressed means u dont have to hold the can to fill the tank

Cons:

1. Full, it weighs 100# + whatever the dry weight was
2. the hose is cheap and kinks – easy fix if you replace it or u just adjust it while pumping
3. there is always a residual amount of gas that will not come out
4. the nozzle take a good amount of pressure to squeeze. Even if you’re strong, it does get annoying. I use a rope keeper to hold it pressed.

Overall, I am pleased with the gas caddy – it definitely has high and low points, but at the end of the day, far better than the 5 gal cans. With the dock being higher than the boat while dropped in the lake, the gravity keeps if flowing

MC

PS – remember some marinas will not allow portable gas containers due to fire / explosion risk.
That's the one sitting in the corner of my garage.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
That's the one sitting in the corner of my garage.
I would have bought it from you at a discount!

Seriously, I have not found a better way to fill my boat.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
For those that hate the new ventless cans......

Several sellers on Ebay sell the vent plugs.
Drill a 1/2 hole, insert plug and you are back to the old days. My "ventless" now flow as fast as the old school cans.

Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Yellow-VE...item53f8d65338