Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2014, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X-15
I'd wait and see how much more the gas was going to cost at the new place first, then decide. If it's not that much, it's not worth the trouble to carry cans of gas.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
great thread. i've gone in circles over this as well. the main keys i see with the fuel issue is money, time and convenience. obviously, paying at the marina pump is the most convenient but the most expensive. you could argue that if you have a long ride to the marina, then time may be favored by a portable solution. if you are out anyway, a stop at the marina is pretty quick and usually a good time to walk the dogs and lets the kids get some ice cream.

i started out with the generic 5 gal cans. when they got sued out of existence, i tried a few of the new "spill proof" cans. what a waste. all they do is make you spill gas. one of my goals is to never let gas into the lake. then i tried one of the "pump" type containers with the bigger volume. the pump mechanism broke on the 2nd use and my west marine that i bought it from had just gone out of business. waste of a lot of money. i then bought a few of the motocross "racing" style from JP. they work ok but still prone to spill if the boat is in the water as the level of the gas is gets up to the vent pretty easily due to the height of the dock. i then tried some add on accessories for the old red 5 gal tanks. you can buy a kit online that adds a flexible spout and a vent to your "water" container. this works about as well as the more expensive motocross cans but they seem to wear out over time and then become prone to leak. the kits are fairly cheap and it may be they just have to be replaced from time to time. i've started using the super shaker now for the boats. one of my goals is to have a fueling system that i can walk away from. as you all know, there is always some minor chore to do on the dock, so i'd rather spend a few minutes working rather than holding a can. the super shaker does a good job, but it doesn't completely empty the container. not really a big deal. i can't use the siphon on the pwc's so i use the motocross cans or the modified regular red cans. on a good week, we'll sometimes use 100+ gal of gas so you can imagine how many trips that is with 5 gal cans. our marina is usually $1.25 higher than regular pump per gallon, so the cost can add up pretty quickly.

the happy medium i've reached is to not be quite so anal about saving money and spend more time on the water. at the beginning of week, i'll stop on the way in and fill up 30 gallons of cans and i'll have the marina top of the MC when i pick it up. the 30 gal will keep the pwc's running and i'll occasionally feed the boats. it I'm gong back to town for something else, i'll bring along some empties for a refuel. for a big fill up, i've consigned my self not to make a big trip back to town, but just feed the marina. as mentioned above, guests/kids are a great way to get the 5 gal can to and from the dock.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X2
I went with a couple of FloFast tanks. They are easy to transport, easy to fill, and with the availability of 3 different size hoses, they fill the boat extremely fast. It fills the boat twice as fast with the FloFast 7.5 gallon tank than a traditional 5 gallon tank.

http://flofast.com/flofastmsrp.html

I looked at 5 gallon tanks and 30 gallon tanks, but the problem is that they took too long to fill the boat or they required a hand or electric crank that took forever to fill the boat.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

^ looks like it works well. Is anyone using the turbo siphon or the super siphon?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I had this one for a year. Biggest POS ever unless you replace the hoses and handle!

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...i=74913&r=view

I would get those dirt bike cans that have the clear hose out the top! not sure where you get them though. all the other ones that are spill proof are the absolute worst

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacx2 View Post
^ looks like it works well. Is anyone using the turbo siphon or the super siphon?
Not familiar with the turbo siphon, but the super siphon "shake style" siphons work great and come a lot closer than you'd think at emptying a can completely.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
5 gallons cans and this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAtWlmzN3k

If you make it easy you don't need to top off.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2011, Indmar 5.7L RTP
VP 5-gallon jugs and Flo-Fast pump (see link below). The pump works great especially if your boat is sitting high on a lift.

http://flofast.com/flofastmsrp.html

Anything greater than a 5-gallon jug is too difficult to handle.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Get the VP 5 gallon cans and the shaker style siphon. I sit a Rubbermaid tote lid on my sundeck and then sit the VP can on that. I put the shaker siphon in and get it flowing, then I do other stuff while it fills the tank. It takes about 4-5 minutes to empty the VP cans and that is 5.5 gallons per can. It you tilt the can up on one corner right near the end, you can get every bit out except for maybe 2 ounces of gas.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
The old 5 gal can with the clear hose squeeze siphon trick makes it a painless event. Drops 5 gal into the tank in less than a minute.. no mess or fuss. It's one of the top few tricks I show all new boaters. Not sure how I lived before I figured it out. Nothing is worse than holding a can up waiting for it to empty. This is basically the same as the shaker appapproach only much faster and without the shaker.