Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

JL vs Bullet vs Wetsounds

My X2 came with 2 JL tower speakers and one amp. Couldn't hear the tower speakers at wakeboard range. I had the JL's replaced with Bullet Hollowpoint 770's in the same cans and a Rockford Fosgate amp (model T600-2, 600 watts) that runs only to those 2 speakers. It's not much better at projecting to wakeboard range and it sounds a bit on the high side to me (I don't think the amp was adjusted correctly and I adjusted it the best I could, it was installed by a boat dealer). I called an audio shop last fall and the guy recommended going back to the stock JL's on their own amp. He thought on their own amp that they would project at wakeboard range. Decided to wait until spring. Call the same shop today and another guy has never heard of Bullet and recommends Wetsounds. I know they are awesome. I had them on my last boat but was hoping to keep the stock cans, so should I do something different with the JL's or Bullet's or just get the Wetsounds?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-30
If you want to keep current cans and already have bullets in the cans, seems like power may be the problem. You should be able to hear them, if properly powered. If money is no object, wet sounds or exile, properly powered, will be heard, far past wakeboarding length..
Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Or you could sell me the original cans and speakers and then buy some Wet Sounds!

Problem solved.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacx2 View Post
My X2 came with 2 JL tower speakers and one amp. Couldn't hear the tower speakers at wakeboard range. I had the JL's replaced with Bullet Hollowpoint 770's in the same cans and a Rockford Fosgate amp (model T600-2, 600 watts) that runs only to those 2 speakers. It's not much better at projecting to wakeboard range and it sounds a bit on the high side to me (I don't think the amp was adjusted correctly and I adjusted it the best I could, it was installed by a boat dealer). I called an audio shop last fall and the guy recommended going back to the stock JL's on their own amp. He thought on their own amp that they would project at wakeboard range. Decided to wait until spring. Call the same shop today and another guy has never heard of Bullet and recommends Wetsounds. I know they are awesome. I had them on my last boat but was hoping to keep the stock cans, so should I do something different with the JL's or Bullet's or just get the Wetsounds?
That's 200 watts per each 4-ohm speaker. You'll never produce that much power because you are not supplying the amplifier with a 14.4 volt supply. So that is more like 150 watts per speaker. They can handle more but one-third more power won't make a giant difference in output and projection.
The HollowPoints 7.7s will definitely project better over distance than the JL Audio 7.7s. The JL Audio will be warmer than any HLCD, HP included, until you make a major step up in size, like a 10" for example.
Tuning and crossover selection can make a difference. If you don't hear a difference in projection then concentrate on tuning.
Unless you have a FAE, it's unlikely you will be satisfied at wake range with a single pair of 7.7"s or a single pair of 8"s. You need to double the surface area and double the power to see a big jump in output against that kind of distance competing with wind and engine noise.
Perhaps you don't want to make the investment of larger speakers or more speakers with more power. But the reality is that until you up the surface area and up the power in a significant way you are only making an incremental change.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply David. Would you recommend going with something like Rev 10's and a different amp?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the reply David. Would you recommend going with something like Rev 10's and a different amp?
Yes.
Stepping up from one pair of 7.7"s to one pair of 8"s with the same power will not get it done.
Either double what you have in both speaker and power or replace what you have with a pair of 10"s. The Wetsounds Rev10 sounds great with a legit 400 watts per speaker. Yes, that is above the thermal rating but is okay if you know how to take care of your equipment.
I like one pair of Rev10s powered by either a JL Audio HD750/1, Wetsounds bridged Syn4, or Wetsounds SD2.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

If you're using something above the thermal rating what kind of care does the equipment need? Also, I already have a ws 420 equalizer, so does this play into the equation at all?
Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
If you're using something above the thermal rating what kind of care does the equipment need? Also, I already have a ws 420 equalizer, so does this play into the equation at all?
The manufacturers speaker power rating is the maximum continuous rms power at which the speaker can dissipate heat without damage. That is the thermal rating that I referenced.

'Care' relates to how you use that power. If you are boating with considerable engine & wind noise and your own auditory system is traumatized after a long day of loud noise and music then you may not be particularly adept at sensing distortion or limitations. So the system has to be tuned correctly to begin with and then you have to trust those settings when underway regardless of whether it sounds at its loudest at that point. Just a little discipline.

The EQ is part of the signal path so it is automatically part of the tuning equation. However, if you boost any of the tone settings beyond flat you have made a large increase in power. It may not sound like it because the impact is over a narrow bandwidth but it is a significant change in power none the less. If any EQ band comes up the volume should come down off of 'full' volume.

If you get your gear from Odin at Earmark Marine, he will walk you through the tuning process step by step. Beyond his many years in mobile electronics, Odin is a musician since 1984, combining his love for music with a technical understanding of audio extending well beyond mobile and marine electronics. Odin has performed with local band Southbound since 1999, worked as the in-house sound engineer for hundreds of local and national touring artists at local music venue Hank’s Texas Grill since 2004. The point is that few understand system design, set-up and system tuning like this guy.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

I doubt I'll be happy with the JL's or Bullet's, so Wetsounds it is, especially having had it before. It was a few years ago, but i believe I dealt with Odin when ordering at that time and it was a very good experience. Thanks again for your expert advice!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Quote:
I doubt I'll be happy with the JL's or Bullet's, so Wetsounds it is, especially having had it before. It was a few years ago, but i believe I dealt with Odin when ordering at that time and it was a very good experience. Thanks again for your expert advice!
Will you be selling your JL Tower speakers?