Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Older gas tanks

Maybe this isn't a widespread problem, but in the few I've encountered, this has been a problem. Why are the older gas tanks so hard to fill at the pump? My '95 205 tank is so finicky with these new pumps that I have to do a yoga pose with the handle to get it to fill. Then when it gets close to the top, it rushes out the overflow valve on the top left side and out of the fill, no matter how careful I am near the top. Is this just an issue with these tanks or do I have something wrong?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
No idea of how to fix the issue but I always stay clear of the tank when filling.. There is always a great amount of spillage no matter what I do
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
Maybe this isn't a widespread problem, but in the few I've encountered, this has been a problem. Why are the older gas tanks so hard to fill at the pump? My '95 205 tank is so finicky with these new pumps that I have to do a yoga pose with the handle to get it to fill. Then when it gets close to the top, it rushes out the overflow valve on the top left side and out of the fill, no matter how careful I am near the top. Is this just an issue with these tanks or do I have something wrong?
This has been discussed here previously and my 94 is very bad when filling. I'm not sure why and not sure we ever came with an answer.

I have to hold mine out close to the top of the filler and can only use minimal pressure. It takes a while to fill up.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Well I guess I'm glad to know its not just mine. I know the newer nozzles are very sensitive, but the overflow is what had me concerned. Oh well, I'll just keep rinsing it off and wiping it down. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Hmm, I have not noticed this issue, but then again I mostly just put 5-10 gals in at a time since I am usually fairly close to our dock. I would guess that it is a venting issue. Maybe the vent is not large enough to displace the amount of gas going into the tank and therefore backs up. Just my thoughts though.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
I think that the vent hose must connect straight to the tank without any intermediate cannisters or anything. Then, when you get the tank full, the gas comes out the vent before it comes up the filler pipe.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 210VRS, 2000
Both my previous 97 Prostar and now my 2000 Maristar do the same thing when filling. If I want a full tank I watch the gas tank as it fills. Kind of a circus act, but better than the fountain of gas all over otherwise. Prostar just removed the rear seat panel, it was velcroed on. Maristar open up the access to the bilge area in the floor and watch it there. Anyway, this is the least painful part of filling up 40+ gallons of gas!