Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2018, 02:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
2006 x2 Surf or lack there of...

Seriously, i have done all i can and this boat will not find a wave clean enough to surf without high tension on the line. Tried several surf boards, several speeds, add'l 750lbs of weight, suck gate... just doesn't have it. I think the teak deck is also affecting the surf wave as its very large. And before anyone says its my skill level, its not.. i surf behind a malibu often and even went ropeless behing a MOOMBA outback which is a Xover boat with only a 300lb bag in the rear locker. I can't believe that boat had more push and a cleaner wave than mine to be honest.

Now that i am getting older (late 40's) i just don't wake board as much and we are into surfing. That being said i started looking for a new boat.

right now its between a new Axis or an NXT. I don't want to pay over 100k because summer in wisconsin is just to short. If i lived in the south, i wouldn't mind because i could use my boat far more than 4 months a year.

Talking to local dealer in SEast Wisc, the NXT is over 85k set up for surfing and they won't even budge off that price point. I am really trying to find why its over 15k more than the Axis. Same warranty, same surf setup, basically everything is the same. I have looked at both extensively and the Axis is of pretty good quality contrary to what people say. I think they have stepped up a bit. Looking at the NXT20 or the A20

Like to stay MC, but can't justify the add'l almost 15k for a stripped down boat with surf package and ugly tower that looks like an afterthought when i am getting more in the A20 for about 70k. Can someone comment on this? Talk me off the ledge?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
Seriously, i have done all i can and this boat will not find a wave clean enough to surf without high tension on the line. Tried several surf boards, several speeds, add'l 750lbs of weight, suck gate... just doesn't have it. I think the teak deck is also affecting the surf wave as its very large.

Now that i am getting older (late 40's) i just don't wake board as much and we are into surfing. That being said i started looking for a new boat.

right now its between a new Axis or an NXT. I don't want to pay over 100k because summer in wisconsin is just to short. If i lived in the south, i wouldn't mind because i could use my boat far more than 4 months a year.

Talking to local dealer in SEast Wisc, the NXT is over 85k set up for surfing and they won't even budge off that price point. I am really trying to find why its over 15k more than the Axis. Same warranty, same surf setup, basically everything is the same. I have looked at both extensively and the Axis is of pretty good quality contrary to what people say. I think they have stepped up a bit. Looking at the NXT20 or the A20

Like to stay MC, but can't justify the add'l almost 15k for a stripped down boat with surf package and ugly tower that looks like an afterthought when i am getting more in the A20 for about 70k. Can someone comment on this? Talk me off the ledge?
NXT and A20 new?

Axis jsut went to the tub modle for 2019 on all A series. This is different than the 2017 and previous.

Axis now comes with surfgate / power wedge 3 and surf pipe if you option it. Does the A20 you are looking at have that?

Axis for 2019 changed the way their seat looks and the vinyl feels. 2019 is the nicest, 2018 is nice 2017 is good, 2016 and previous might have some issues maybe? I believe it is all decent

2018 and 2019 NXT have the nice new tower
other than that i dont think they have been changed much since 2015
Old 08-30-2018, 03:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
Seriously, i have done all i can and this boat will not find a wave clean enough to surf without high tension on the line. Tried several surf boards, several speeds, add'l 750lbs of weight, suck gate... just doesn't have it. I think the teak deck is also affecting the surf wave as its very large. And before anyone says its my skill level, its not.. i surf behind a malibu often and even went ropeless behing a MOOMBA outback which is a Xover boat with only a 300lb bag in the rear locker. I can't believe that boat had more push and a cleaner wave than mine to be honest.

well if you want to save money you might add gsa to your boat. while your at it raise the platform 2-3 inches and put two 800 lb xstar bags plumbed into the back. my 07 X2 with GSA ad the two other things throws a great surf wake.

ps on the axis push in the side of the hull then go do that with either the nxt or your x2. the axis hull has a lot of flex in it.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:04 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
well if you want to save money you might add gsa to your boat. while your at it raise the platform 2-3 inches and put two 800 lb xstar bags plumbed into the back. my 07 X2 with GSA ad the two other things throws a great surf wake.

ps on the axis push in the side of the hull then go do that with either the nxt or your x2. the axis hull has a lot of flex in it.
You wont see that with anything from 2017 or newer with axis btw.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

yes, the A20 is a 2019 model or i have the choice of a 2018 model but with power wedge 2. Both have surf gate and pipe.

what is Tub Modle?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
I regularly surf behind and drive both an AXIS (2015 I think) and an NXT. Both surf well. NXT has a better stock wave. My wife is typically driving when I'm surfing. I do not think she or my son could turn the AXIS when loaded for surf. That's my unbiased .02 if that's a consideration.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:11 PM
MC Maniac

if you look at a 2018 or earlier axis they are 3 parts (cept the 2018 A24 and T22 those are 3 parts from 2017 and earlier)

Tub mold is where the top deck is all 1 pieced and the hull is all 1 piece. then glued at the rub rail.

I like the looks of the new axis seat and vinyl a lot with the 2019 model year. PW3 will not only help get the boat on plane better than pw2 but has a bit more adjustability. It is always the only system that aids in creating a bigger wake / wave.

The NXT20 is a nice boat as well, and with the NXT surf system and plug and play it def can provide a decent surf wave, but i was not as impressed with it, but ive only been on a 2015.

Are you able to test each of them and ride behind them?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
Interesting as we and other friends with X2s have surfed them bone stock (2007) a lot. Added 450#s and although not great it is better and very surfable..
Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 08-30-2018, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

correction, the 2018 boat has a manual wedge. The 2019 has the PW. Dealer is saying the manual wedge is no different other than having to put it down manually. Said PW is not worth the add'l cost.

i am still looking at PW however on the 2019
Old 08-30-2018, 03:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Have no clue what you're doing wrong but we surf mine with 3 people (including the rider) with 1 - 450 in the locker we're surfing and stock ballast on the rider side and the KGB filled. Boat speed is about 10 MPH and you have to be in at lease 10' of water. Add 2 more people in the boat and it's a very acceptable surf wake. I did buy a wake shaper this year but haven't used it yet. I'm a big guy and can ride with a Blue Lake but prefer my Phase 5 Model X much better.

I hate to say it but you may have a case here where it's time to blame the Indian, not the bow. That being said if you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new boat this sounds as good as any I could make up.