Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2018, 11:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
That X-ray looks pretty good to me! Doesn’t look like any spondi’s, disks little compressed but doesn’t seem to be much disintegration? I’d find a proper PT and start a program of Pilates and strength training to correct bad habits and strengthen core. As long as you don’t have numbness down the leg or hanging foot - both degrees of nerve compression, I wouldn’t worry too much about surgery. As for Yoga, probably ok, although I’d steer clear of all twisting movements.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
I'm almost 64 and had TKR 3 years ago. I have given up wakeboarding, but surf and ski (on 2 now) and not ready to give up watersports. I definitely do not play like I did even 5-6 years ago.

Have had a good run and will go out someday completely used up...….
Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 08-01-2018, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
act my age ... HA!!! my long term plan is to slalom ski every year till I pass
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Look into physical therapy. In particular, get regular access to a reverse hyper. Those machines are great for strengthening the core and posterior chain (exactly what you’d want with lower back problems) and even more important, they decompress the spine which forces fluids in and keeps inflammation down. I would be on that several times a week if I were you. Along with other exercises, but most of them don’t require any special equipment, so if there is any actual equipment you are going to use and you could only choose one, that might be the best choice.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
I don’t act, or look like it, but I’m 56. After a torn meniscus in one knee about 15 years ago, I started to have lower back issues due to the fact that I was using my back to lift rather than my knees. I had to start using a drop-ski to slalom because I couldn’t put the knee into my chest to deep water start, but I had no problem wakeboarding, barefooting, and trick skiing on two. Once the kids moved out, I did less wakeboarding because it’s just my wife driving in the boat and the wake is less than desirable. So, I got the bright idea to get two 400lb side sacs and give it a try. The first weekend I took it easy, but this weekend we had five extra people in the boat as well. My first landing was right in the curl but I did feel a little glitch in my lower back. The second landing was in the flats and I knew something was wrong. I managed to get back in the boat, but after sitting for the trip back to the dock, I couldn’t even stand up.

I had to crawl off the back of the boat into the water (with a jacket) and float to the shore. My son brought the golf cart to the shore and I put my knees on the floor board and my face on the seat in order to get to the house. I was on my hands and knees Saturday and I could walk bent over on Sunday by the time I got to the urgent care center. They gave me a shot of steroids in one cheek and motrin in the other, and I was able to walk upright in about four hours. The physician said that there appears to be some deterioration in the lower disks (but I don’t know what I’m looking at) and she believes that the curve in the spine is from muscle contractions…maybe. So, I’m seeing the orthopedic doctor this afternoon. The physician said to me “You need to decide what is more important, living out your retirement walking or rolling around in a wheelchair?” I told her that I will give up the wakeboarding but I’m always going to do something behind the boat. No surfing…ever.
Ew, sounds familiar.. I have similar disc degeneration and my spine doctor told me to stop jumping.. I can't avoid wakeboarding, but I do minimize my jumping these days.. I ride switch, slides, grinds, surface spins...it has to be glass for me to jump to make landing as soft as possible. I have grown to love my Krytom for my back pain, just got off two years of oxy.. not pretty, but an occasional cortisone shot works some magic for about 6 month for me. Decompression and stretching, and keep moving is definitely key but not easy to always do. I am surfing a lot more these days as a result and absolutely love it. Good luck to you... back pain isn't fun. It does look like you have some bad degeneration in L4/L5 that won't be fun, but I'm no doctor
Old 08-01-2018, 12:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Sounds like getting older is no fun.....
Old 08-01-2018, 12:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
I hate to hear all this ... Back pain is no fun at all .....

Try to keep your weight down (I could lose 20 myself) ... warm up .... maybe stretch afterwards, don't over do it ... and cross train ... don't let your slalom runs be your only activity ....

I hear extra amorous activity helps .... so I will try to have extra so it helps you guys ...

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Banana George was footing into his 90's.

Reminds me of the adage: "If you think you're too old (to do something), you're probably right. If you think you're not too old (to do something) you're probably right."

Last edited by Miss Rita; 08-01-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Good luck! I'm 47 and my GF thinks I act 25. Personally, I think that makes me more fun. I have jacked my back up multiple times, and PT with exercise and core strength are critical to recovery and sustainability. I hope it all works out for you.

Disclosure:. Three slalom sets yesterday, and I could barely get into my truck this morning. LOL. Won't lie....I love it.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
My ski will join me with my ashes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk