Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-22-2018, 11:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Jim,

I believe you mistook that portion of the statement. Yes, adding a 2nd pair of speakers is an audible difference. Yes, adding a 2nd 4 ohm speaker in parallel does result in an increase of wattage output from the amp, there is a net drop of 25W to each speaker. 100W rms @ 2 ohm / 2 4 speakers = 50W to each.

However, there is not an audible difference between a speaker receiving 100W or the same speaker receiving 75W.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
The full range chnls of the 1000/5 are 75W @ 4 ohm @ 14.5V. The 100W x 4 is at 2 ohm, so 50W net to 4 speakers if you added another pair later. Not really an audible difference, just clarifying the specs.

JL SERIOUSLY needs a mid-level 2 chnl for driving 2 pair of tower speakers. 200W x 4 is great power for 2 pair of tower coaxial, but the 800/8 requires too many dang RCA. In one wants to stay with the JL brand, id spend another Benjamin, and MHD750/1 for 2 pair of towers.
I stand corrected. In which case, it is probably better to go with MHD600/4 for the towers and MHD900/5 for the cabin / sub. That would also solve the problem with just 4 RCA preouts out of my Clarion headunit, as all MHD amps can be run in 2-ch input mode.

They are a bit more, but still within the budget.

Maybe a silly question, but did anyone compare the sound QUALITY of the M6600 (factory amp) vs the newer M700/5v2 vs MHD900/5 ?

I wonder how the old class AB design compares to the new Class-D ones. I have never heard the (home audio) class-D amp which I would really liked.

That said, in most cases they sound faster and more articulate than their Class A/AB designs, with great bass slam, so in the harsh boat environment, with lots of wind and engine noise, they may actually be a better fit.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:49 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
What brands are you selling over there and how is the industry performing in your country (which country?)? I'm a custom installer and I'm really tired of dealing with video, specifically HDMI. I just upgraded the audio system in a school gymnasium and it was a bit of a pain in the tookas, but the job itself was like a breath of fresh air.

We could do a separate thread for this.
I'm not a dealer. I've been writing home audio reviews for AUDIO magazine for 25 years. I also have a $200.000+ hi-end system at home (based on Magico M3 speakers) as my reference.

I also had a short stint in car audio - I'm was GASCA judge (German Auto Sound Challenge Association) and have even won a Pro600W class with my car (an install based on Clarion headunit + DSP, dual Audison Sedici THK amps, all AQ cabling and custom build ScanSpeak drivers, modified for me by Scan Speak chief engineer - Lars Goller).

I also run the second largest hifi show in Europe.

So yeah, I'm pretty deep in hifi. I just lack any marine audio experience, but from what I can, see you guys can quickly bring me up to speed.

Last edited by Elberoth; 09-22-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
I stand corrected. In which case, it is probably better to go with MHD600/4 for the towers and MHD900/5 for the cabin / sub. That would also solve the problem with just 4 RCA preouts out of my Clarion headunit, as all MHD amps can be run in 2-ch input mode.

They are a bit more, but still within the budget.

Maybe a silly question, but did anyone compare the sound QUALITY of the M6600 (factory amp) vs the newer M700/5v2 vs MHD900/5 ?

I wonder how the old class AB design compares to the new Class-D ones. I have never heard the (home audio) class-D amp which I would really liked.

That said, in most cases they sound faster and more articulate than their Class A/AB designs, with great bass slam, so in the harsh boat environment, with lots of wind and engine noise, they may actually be a better fit.
Running the MHD 4 chnl stereo is a much better way to go then the 8 chnl bridged 4 chnl. With the regulated output of the MHD line, I do not thing k you would notice a difference in their advertised 150W v's 200W specs.

Man, its probably been 7 years since I last installed a new class-A/B. We went Class-D as quickly as the industry allowed. Smaller, less power consumption. I dont think anyone outside of a pro in a studio could ever tell you a speaker is driven with a class-a/b or class-d amp.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:03 PM
TT Newbie

All home audio state of the art amplifiers are still Class AB or full Class A (basicly everything in the $15.000-$250.000 range).

I don't even think there is a class D amp more expensive than say $20.000.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:21 PM
MC Devotee

With a boat, space is important, as well as efficiency, being the most. With the demand for bigger, more powerful systems, we need more wattage with a smaller footprint and less current draw. Class-D has given us this.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:20 AM
TT Newbie

+1

Agreed.

The only downside of the Class-D amps is that they do not sound as natural as their Class A or Class AB counterparts. But that is hardly a problem on a boat. Also 'cos of a different music choices. You don't usually listen to chamber or jazz music on a boat.

Last edited by Elberoth; 09-23-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 AM
TT Newbie

I gave the idea of getting MHD amps some more thought, and after reading some online reviews, I decided to stick with the older M-series amps instead:

M1000/5v2 for the cabin + sub
M800/8v2 for the tower (bridged)

From what I read, some people felt the new MXD amps with their fully regulated PSU, just do not sound 'right', so I decided to give the M series amps a go, which had stellar reviews and measurements (there was not a single review with measurements that I could find for the MXD amps).

The first surprise: how tiny those new amps are compared to the M6600 that was factory installed (which was the classic Class AB design).

To give you a better idea of their size, I have placed them next to a CD:

I expect to do the install in December.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
I expect to do the install in December.
Looks like you have a good start to your audio upgrade project this winter. Not sure if you are still looking for ideas but here is a link the the audio project I did on my X2. Yes it's a different X2 top deck but hopefully it can help or at least motivate you on your marine audio project.

Link >>>>>>>> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=79138

Good luck and post up any progress you get done this winter.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190