Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Older X Series good for Surfing?

I'm looking for my first boat with a budget of up to 35K. I have one high school kid and one 8th grader. They have wake boarded, but really want to get into wake surfing. I'd love a good wake to surf as well.

I've been looking at older V Drive X series Mastercrafts. Somewhere in the 2003+ range. Either X1, X2, X10, X15, X30. I've also been look at Malibu Wakesetter's, but there's something about a Mastercraft that has me leaning towards the X series.

Would an older X series deliver a good wake for surfing?

If you had a budget of up to 35K and a good wake for surfing was important to you, what would you be looking at?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
06+ X30. Shouldn’t be terribly difficult go get one in that range at this time of year

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-16-2018, 04:33 PM
TT Newbie

I should have mentioned I'm in Northern CA (Sacramento area). Prices for used boats are on the high end around here. It will be tough to find an 06+ X30 within my 35K budget in my area.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Why limit your search to only CA?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:22 PM
TT Newbie

If I look out of state, I'd have to pay someone to go check the boat out, then pay to get the boat out to CA. I haven't really looked into it too much, but I was assuming these expenses would eat into the lower purchase price to prevent it from making sense.

Do people commonly purchase used boats in this type of price range out of their area?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2007, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish209 View Post
If I look out of state, I'd have to pay someone to go check the boat out, then pay to get the boat out to CA. I haven't really looked into it too much, but I was assuming these expenses would eat into the lower purchase price to prevent it from making sense.

Do people commonly purchase used boats in this type of price range out of their area?

Thanks!
With today's technology it isn't as huge of a risk to buy something sight unseen by your eyes. If you find a boat out of state that you're interested in express your desire to have additional pics. The more the better. Get pics of inconspicuous areas of the boat. pics of bilge area, motor mounts inside storage cubbies etc. MC offers the option of a pre-purchase inspection. Have the seller take the boat to the nearest MC dealer and you'd pay for the inspection. IIRC it's right around $350. They will literally check over every inch of the boat top to bottom, bow to stern. They will provide a very extensive list of items that would need attention if they were to put the boat on their own floor or lot for sale. It's well worth the $. What better opportunity for great bonding time with your kids than a cross country trip to pick up a new to your family MC. Many memories to come and it starts in the truck to go get it.... or you can arrange with shipping company. From what I understand that process isn't too terribly difficult either. Happy hunting.

I bought mine in SC, and drove from Indiana to get it.... sight unseen by myself. I used the dealer as my eyes and ears. We couldn't be happier....well, that new x24 is pretty nice but I digress
Old 09-16-2018, 07:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
You can look out of state. Itís a leap to buy sight unseen (Iíve done it but was stressed) but if you went say 8 hours you can go there, inspect and get home in a day.

Also what about the Nautique 210 or 230? 2008ish. Sounds like these would fit the bill. The 230 is a great surf boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2018, 09:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
I see what you mean about boats being expensive in your area. I would rather travel for a deal on a boat that I could resell for more later on. Buy low and sell high.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Ma...nia-86379.aspx

Clean, low hours for year, brake actuator for that vintage is known for going out and this has been replaced, has perfect pass, within 500 miles. Add some ballast and a suck gate and you will have a good surf wave and a great first inboard. This dealership usually has a decent selection and worth keeping an eye to see if anything else pops up.

Boat below is a little outside your budget but newer, cleaner, and a better hull. I would personally up the budget and find a way to get it home.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=99118
Old 09-16-2018, 10:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Granted, I did have an opportunity to check it out before making the drive to buy it, but my current boat I drove from the north SF Bay down to Lake Elsinore to bring home. I knew about the boat having seen it on the dealer website. Our vacation route home took us to Indio, which was about 30 minutes away. We took a drive over, thoroughly checked out the boat and put money down. Finished up our trip about 3 days later. A week after that, my oldest son and I drove back down with the truck to pick it up and bring it home. It was a great father-son trip that we both remember fondly. Even the flat tire in Richmond at 3am. You're close enough, I'd think you could expand your search to the Reno area, maybe up to Redding and south to down by LA. It'd be a drive, but you could also consider looking over in Utah. You can do that drive in a day.

These are all at or below your budget of 35K. The last one is 27K, which leaves quite a bit for upgrades/water toys etc.

X30 in Provo
2006 X30 in Redding
2002 Maristar 230- Reno Same hull as an X30 for that year, just no tower.
2004 X10 near Elsinore

I have an 03 X-Maristar, and while I'm still dialing it in, it puts out a decent surf wake.

G
Old 09-16-2018, 11:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x30
08 x30! Stock ballast nauticurl!
Attached Images