Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 12:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwenger View Post
There is a sweet spot on used in the 40k range. We bought our 2008 X-Star with 140 hours for $48500 and paid no taxes. We used it for 1.5 summers and sold it with under 200 hours for $48000. The hardest part is finding one super clean with low hours you know will sell to the person willing to come look.
No sales tax in your state? Boy, that'd be nice on boat/trailer purchases...
2017 B1G Champions
Old 11-14-2017, 11:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
If you’re patient and hold out for a deal... bought our 07 X2 in winter 2012 at around 300 hours. $39,500. Haven’t put more than maintenance into it. Now has about 675 hours. I’m sure I could get $40k as a quick sale.
Buy a used one right and fire up your MCOCD.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Man it's hard to say. I can't believe there's wake boats with $200 stickers, say 150 for a deal on a decked out, pick your boat.
Agree with the rest, makes the boat I bought for $40k better part of 10 years ago still worth about 40. I've only put 200 hours on it though.
Considering a primo X25 or 45 still goes for about $60k, I think $70k is a good ballpark + or - 10.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmothy07 View Post
No sales tax in your state? Boy, that'd be nice on boat/trailer purchases...
None here either ... just pay trailer sales tax taxes.. the DNR does not have taxing authority on used boat unless a dealer is selling it... weird loop hole... in the taxpayers favor.. whoda thunk.. we won one!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 prostar 190 330 ltr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell12 View Post
Example:

If I was to purchase a 2015 x23 for 100k today, what would that boat be worth in 5 years?

I understand people take large hits when buying new, but what about when buying used. Where is the best time frame to buy? When one is 3,4,5...years old? etc. Keep for 5,6,7...years and then sell?
I would say go more used than that, the depreciation will be less as others have stated on a boat around 40k or so (or wherever your budget puts you). People say that the new boats don't depreciate (as the dealer literally said to me one day) just take a look on boat trader and you will see that they do.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X2
I rode the trade up program for the last 13 years. Two years about I ended up with a boat that I was into for about $90K. Wife was embarrassed to roll around in it because she is modest. I really didn't mind having that kind of investment in a boat but I will have to say having my two large dogs run around in it was a little nerve racking. Regardless, we moved off the lake, to the country and decided we wanted a smaller boat to make towing the boat easier and also a less expensive boat so we didn't have to care as much. I was able to get out of my 2015 without getting slammed on depreciation because I had bought it really right but had I waited another year or so I probably would have lost over $15K on the deal because Mastercraft no longer makes the model (it was an x25) and it seems when they go non-production is when they take the biggest hit. I suspect Mastercraft will increase the rate of new model introductions in order to keep the capitalist machine running smoothly so I suspect depreciation to be much higher going forward (new model means people want it and there old model, non-production boat is worth less). At the end of the day, we went with a 2012 X2 and have no intent of selling it ever...its just not as sexy as it used to be to me in the past to own a new...latest and greatest boat. Additionally, all the new Mastercrafts on our lake are driven by senior citizens pulling their snotty grand children around on tubs/or surfing.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft TriStar 220
Go very used and make money . Bought an 88 TriStar 220 for $7500, used it for 3 seasons, and sold it last April for $11k. Profit covered all my upgrades, insurance, and a lot of fuel over the seasons!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: THEN: 1998 PS205, 2002 X9 & 2012 X14v. NOW: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRMK View Post
I rode the trade up program for the last 13 years. Two years about I ended up with a boat that I was into for about $90K. Wife was embarrassed to roll around in it because she is modest. I really didn't mind having that kind of investment in a boat but I will have to say having my two large dogs run around in it was a little nerve racking. Regardless, we moved off the lake, to the country and decided we wanted a smaller boat to make towing the boat easier and also a less expensive boat so we didn't have to care as much. I was able to get out of my 2015 without getting slammed on depreciation because I had bought it really right but had I waited another year or so I probably would have lost over $15K on the deal because Mastercraft no longer makes the model (it was an x25) and it seems when they go non-production is when they take the biggest hit. I suspect Mastercraft will increase the rate of new model introductions in order to keep the capitalist machine running smoothly so I suspect depreciation to be much higher going forward (new model means people want it and there old model, non-production boat is worth less). At the end of the day, we went with a 2012 X2 and have no intent of selling it ever...its just not as sexy as it used to be to me in the past to own a new...latest and greatest boat. Additionally, all the new Mastercrafts on our lake are driven by senior citizens pulling their snotty grand children around on tubs/or surfing.
"Additionally, all the new Mastercrafts on our lake are driven by senior citizens pulling their snotty grand children around on tubs/or surfing.".

LOL - pretty funny. You mean those brand new boats aren't filled with beautiful 20-somethings like I see on the advertisements?? Haha. Smart move to the X2. Enjoy.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Center Hill, Norris, & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
"Additionally, all the new Mastercrafts on our lake are driven by senior citizens pulling their snotty grand children around on tubs/or surfing.".

LOL - pretty funny. You mean those brand new boats aren't filled with beautiful 20-somethings like I see on the advertisements?? Haha. Smart move to the X2. Enjoy.
You guys must not be on my lake

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 11-16-2017, 01:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 NXT 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
You guys must not be on my lake
Lewisville just has the snotty grandkids driving 80k plus floating stereo's that disguise as wakeboats...
2002 White and Yellow 209