Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008, PS 197, LY6
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Got it!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
You can get a whole set of gauges for what they charge for one on ebay. I bought a brand new set still in the shrink wrap with medallion screen protectors on them so they are original. I think I paid about 175.
I've been looking on eBay for a set of gauges, but coming up empty. There are a lot of gauges to choose from, for sure, just not the size and style I need. Would love to pay sub-$200 for a replacement set. GreatLakeSkipper has a whole dash with gauges, but it's not a complete set (it's set up for a PP gauge). At $700, it's too much for my needs.

I made some progress last night though with the oil pressure gauge. Was able to get the clear face off with an exacto knife, and then disassembled the gauge. Had a hard time getting the board desoldered from the connector pins so I could remove it, but finally got it. Ordered a set of the updated GM steppers for replacement. So, I'm on my way.

I could put it back together with the cracked lens and call it good, but the cracks in the clear faces drives me nuts. I think I may have found a solution today...need to order more parts. The plan is to replace the clear lens with real glass lenses. I have a couple choices. For the small lenses, I have found some watch crystals that are the correct size (50mm/2"). Need to confirm that these will clear the needle (they need to be domed). Today, I FINALLY found some domed glass lenses for the 3 3/8" gauges. I've been looking for these for a long time now. They are tempered as well. So, the plan is to cut off the cracked plastic and bond the glass lenses in place. This should clean up the dash a lot, and make them less likely to crack in the future from Windex (or whatever the PO used).

I'll update when I make some progress.

Edit: If it all fails, I'll order new gauges from Medallion most likely.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, TT 197, 2002, 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane330 View Post
Reviving this thread, hope you are still around. Can you send me the contact info to Medallion? I'm in need of an oil pressure gauge. Also, do you know what thread it was that discussed cracking open the gauge and changing the stepper? Would like to see how it's done.
Medallion Contact is

Misty Wallenstein
Customer Service Representative
Medallion Instrumentation Systems
P: 616-850-8091
F: 616-935-6636
Email: [email protected]
Old 05-03-2017, 12:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
You can get a whole set of gauges for what they charge for one on ebay. I bought a brand new set still in the shrink wrap with medallion screen protectors on them so they are original. I think I paid about 175.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilavender View Post
Medallion Contact is

Misty Wallenstein
Customer Service Representative
Medallion Instrumentation Systems
P: 616-850-8091
F: 616-935-6636
Email: [email protected]
Fantastic info, thank you very much!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Made some progress repairing my oil pressure gauge tonight. I replaced the stepper motor on the board using the info from Skyskiguy. The plastic lens was tough to get off, and didn't come off cleanly, but will look fine once it's glued back together. The board is also a challenge to get out of the housing due to the proximity of the connector pins (must be desoldered to disassemble) to the stepper.

Of course, the plastic lens is still cracked, and I haven't tested the gauge yet after motor replacement (hopeful it'll work though).

The exciting part is that the glass lenses showed up today. I ordered 3 3/8" and 2 1/16" versions. They are tempered domed glass. Not sure how they are tempered though - more on that later. They don't easily scratch with a hobby knife. The problem is that the 2 1/6" lenses are too big to fit into the X1 dash panel, but about 1/16" on the diameter. I had three choices:

1. Open the bores in the dash panel to fit the glass. This would require repainting, and not sure how I'd do a nice job opening the bores...probably sanding drum on dremel.
2. Try to grind the glass down in diameter. The are tempered...hmmm.
3. Find new glass pieces for the 2" gauges. Pocket watch crystals are available, but hard to find in the large sizes like this if you want glass. Domed plastic seem to be readily available.

I chose #2. I have a tool grinder with a diamond wheel for sharpening tungsten (TIG welding). Did a little fixturing and was able to grind the diameter down free hand. Not sure how these are tempered, but it worked without shattering the glass, at least on the first one (3 more chances to screw them up ).

Time to make a fixture for holding the gauge so I can mill the clear plastic face off. The end plan is to bond the glass lens to the gauge body with clear adhesive. Want to test the gauge first and make sure it works with the new motor installed. Progress...
Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2009 X30 MCX / 2003 X2 MCX
Someone on here made a carbon fiber gauge/switch panels last year but I couldn't find the thread for you. It looked great and is easy to do since it's a flat panel. Use your current panel as a template and cut the holes as big as you need. It's another option
Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseSteak1 View Post
Someone on here made a carbon fiber gauge/switch panels last year but I couldn't find the thread for you. It looked great and is easy to do since it's a flat panel. Use your current panel as a template and cut the holes as big as you need. It's another option

Thanks for the thought. I made new aluminum panels for my last boat that worked out well. The challenge with the MC dash is the curve. Yes, I could curve some aluminum around it, and have considered doing that if I go with analog gauges in the future. It'd look like an older X2 dash at that point. My gauges don't have bezels...they poke thru from the back and the plastic face is the retainer and trim. Did he example you're thinking of use bezeled gauges, or the style similar to mine?
Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quick update: Replaced the stepper in the oil pressure gauge and tested it. The gauge now functions properly again. Glued the cracked plastic lens back on. At this point I could reinstall and run it as is, with the cracked lenses. As mentioned elsewhere, the motors are the same as 03-06 GM steppers, available on eBay. I paid $18 shipped for 6 motors and 10 bulbs.

Next step is to fixture the gauge in my mill or lathe and cut off the cracked lens, to be replaced with the glass lenses I bought. Not quite sure yet what I will use for adhesive, have some ideas and options that need to be tested.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197, 2002
I used carbon fiber vinyl wrap from 3m to go over the old wood grain look
Attached Images

"America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 197, 2002, 6.0L LQ9
Think they still make them now?

Tags