Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 07:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 197, 2009, 5.7L-MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71_Silvy View Post

In my 31 years of being dragged around the lake and, once I was older, towing people around the lake, I have never seen anyone stopped for this. .....
When we first got our WI lake place a 'friend' on the lake warned us that he was friends with the DNR and that he would allow them to tie to his dock and watch for violators. He mentioned that to us several times. Then, one Saturday morning (after we were done with our sets thankfully) we got nailed. $20 fine plus $122 administrative fee.

Now my wife refuses to pull me without a spotter because she does not want to get fined again. Fortunately I have found a ski crew since then and get pretty much all the skiing I need. But there are some early morning sets that flirt with the law still.

I guess if I can pay $60-$80 a set for a coach, I can take the risk of $142 fine.

None-the-less - I have sent my email to everyone on the committee and my reps.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Non-MC
When I was younger we were pulled over because the officer didn't feel that the spotter we were using met the criteria for competent. He was to young in their opinion. Been awhile, but I'd guess he was 10. No fine that time, but the 10 year old became the only one who could ride that day.

In the Waukesha county lakes we see the officer a bit more often than just holiday weekends.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_wi View Post
When I was younger we were pulled over because the officer didn't feel that the spotter we were using met the criteria for competent. He was to young in their opinion. Been awhile, but I'd guess he was 10. No fine that time, but the 10 year old became the only one who could ride that day.

In the Waukesha county lakes we see the officer a bit more often than just holiday weekends.

Where in Waukesha County? Many years ago ('60's) I got pulled over on Big Cedar for sitting on the top of the backrest. Cost me $34.00. Had a beer in my hand and he never even questioned that.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
Quote:

WHAT?? how ridicules, A 10 yr old can easily be a spotter. My 5 year old is a spotter all summer. Not that hard to say "he or she is down". Just goes to show how some of these idiots with badges operate. Not all, but some.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 AM
TT Regular

It was a long time ago on Balsam Lake on the west side of the state. I'm in Waukesha County now and we see the officer about once a month. Should have been more clear those were separate comments.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Quote:
It was a long time ago on Balsam Lake on the west side of the state. I'm in Waukesha County now and we see the officer about once a month. Should have been more clear those were separate comments.
I think I know the officer you're referring to. I understand your position. He's no longer around anymore.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MC TT ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7Dave View Post
When we first got our WI lake place a 'friend' on the lake warned us that he was friends with the DNR and that he would allow them to tie to his dock and watch for violators. He mentioned that to us several times. Then, one Saturday morning (after we were done with our sets thankfully) we got nailed. $20 fine plus $122 administrative fee.
I'm not sure the DNR spends much time on our chain. The only town police vehicle is a boat that patrols the chain. But, most of the lake we are on is in another town. So that officer never comes to our Lake.

Frankly I see no spotters all the time. This is early morning when all the tourists are still hung over and the lake is calm.

But like I said, I'll play dumb. MN tags and "I thought the law was the same. Oops I won't do it again"
Old 03-07-2017, 01:01 PM
TT Regular

The senate bill will have a public comment hearing THIS THURSDAY at 9 am. Listed location is 400 Southeast. I assume this is a room at the Capitol building. I just received this information. Very last minute, but I hope we can get some people there.

Last edited by on_wi; 03-07-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Funny - there's not enough of them to patrol every body of water... or have multiple shifts - In Illinois they don't show up much on rivers and get the heck out of dodge near 5pm.. In Illinois they want easy - so they stick to the crowded places...

In the hundreds hours I have put on waters since 2010 I think I have seen DNR 4 times... I stay off the water on Holiday weekends - that's where I hoped the DNR would make a difference - unfortunately they pull over for registration and safety check - but don't chase anyone down behaving recklessly - at least where I have seen.

Illinois is going sooo the wrong way - good luck wisconsin.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7Dave View Post

Now my wife refuses to pull me without a spotter because she does not want to get fined again. Fortunately I have found a ski crew since then and get pretty much all the skiing I need. But there are some early morning sets that flirt with the law still.

I guess if I can pay $60-$80 a set for a coach, I can take the risk of $142 fine.

None-the-less - I have sent my email to everyone on the committee and my reps.

Nice friend! Sounds like the people that live on my parents lake in wi. Nothing better to do than worry about what someone else is doing.