Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-03-2016, 10:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
http://www.fishfindersource.com/inst...r-fish-finder/
Google is your friend. Hook and cook or catch and release?
Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I'm staying away from this thread...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I'm staying away from this thread...
It's winter, play along.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
OK while I personally wouldn't install a fish finder/chart plotter on my 20' X2 I could see the advantages of having one on a larger boat being used on big water. That and I agree and subscribe with the idea that anything you can do to be on the water and especially spend more time with your kids is well worth the cost and effort. So with that out of the way this is what has worked for me (with other brand boats) in the past.......

Do no harm
Nothing screams "Wally" more than a poorly installed fish finder. Along with this nothing removes value from your boat quicker than poorly implement fishing equipment on a high end ski boat. If you don't plan to be trolling 24x7 then you don't need to permanently mount your 8"x10" display in the middle of the dash. There are all kinds of temporary mounting systems out there you can buy that will allow you to mount the display when you need it and put it away when you're done.

Likewise for the cable routing and connectors. Do a crap job and you'll kill the value of your boat. Think it through and do it right the first time. Try not to cut any holes or screw anywhere it would be visible when the device is removed. Velcro and stick on wire loom mounting brackets go a long way here.

Follow the Geese
We've used this saying for all kinds of installations. Want to know where to place your lift? Where is everyone else on the lake putting there's? If you see a pattern there's probably a good reason. Same is going to hold true for your transducer placement. You have a depth sounder that came with your boat. Find it and place your new transducer on the opposite side of the keel in the same place. If that isn't possible look for a location a couple inches forward or aft. Avoid any chines, strakes or areas of the hull that have been reinforced.

Along these lines avoid with all your will the suggestions from the local Bass shop to drill a hole in you transom and mount the transducer externally. This might be fine on a bass master 2000 but it's cheesy on an expensive ski boat.

Don't cheap out
If you're going to do, do it right. Spend the money for the mounting hardware that will make the instillation look as close to OEM and non intrusive/removable as possible. A suction cup mount to stick to the glove box cover and a couple quick connect electrical connectors to make a pig tail for the transducer cable and power with the other ends mounted up under the dash and you'll have a fully removable installation that is functional. This is what I did on my Cobalt years ago. Along with a clean installation I was able to remove and store everything out of the way and also deter theft. All it takes is some time and planing to do all this.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X45 8.1 Vortec
Apparently, I entered the "MC SNOB" forum. I must be in the wrong place.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X45 8.1 Vortec
Bturner2, thank you for your reply...and I agree completely. Although the plan is to hand the boat to my kids when they are out of college. When I get to upgrade! They do make portable fish finders which I am considering. I'm not sure they work as well. What can I say, my kids love to fish as well as wakeboard, surf, tube...and I want to spend as much time with them while I still can. Thanks for not drinking the Hater-ade!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197
EP1969 lots of haters on when it comes to fishing, tubing and other not traditional water sporting activities on MC's. Where I come from it's your boat and if it means more quality time with the family in this messed up world we live in, I say have at it.

So.......I'll pile on a bit. I'll try to find the old thread, but there was someone on here that had a removable trolling motor on the front of an X boat, I believe it was a X23. When the trolling motor was removed there was hardly any indication of it.

I know others will think I'm crazy, but again you do with as you wish and if it means more enjoyment of your boat and family I'm all for it!

Last edited by 92 190 PS; 02-05-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
What I would do...

get a "shoot through hull" trandsducer.

Mount the unit somewhere using a ram mount..
Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Banned

Boat: 2006 X9
Why don't you buy a small fishing boat and keep the MasterCraft nice. Shoes aren't allowed in my boat and bloody fish would ruin your interior.

Best of luck. You might have an easier time joining a fish forum.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X46, 6.2Ilmor, Gen2 and Pro Pkg...
Check this out: http://www.sonarphone.mobi/

I am looking at the smaller TPod for using in our cove with kayaks and fishing. The SP300 is battery powered and does not require any drilling or permanent mounting. It looks like a better fit for using on an x45.