Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Making your own bow cover

Anyone done this? Mr. Marine is charging about 250 shipped for a 197 bow cover. You can get a 60"x36" long piece of sunbrella for about 20 shipped on ebay, the snaps and fastener tool for approx 20 shipped, a vent for $10 shipped, and then call it $10 for thread I guess, not sure what thread to use. I can use the vent pole from my other cover.

I have a grandmother than knows her way around a sewing machine. If this is a royal PITA to DIY, then I'll pony up the $250. But if this is a 2-3 hour job, I'd rather save the $190 bucks and make it myself.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:10 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
I would think without a pattern it would be extremely difficult even for a professional upholstery person, no 1st hand knowledge though. I'm sure Aric knows, he knows everything.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:14 PM

Boat: 40th Anniversary X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
I would think without a pattern it would be extremely difficult even for a professional upholstery person, no 1st hand knowledge though. I'm sure Aric knows, he knows everything.....
Stu, the bow cover is just a little triangle shaped piece of fabric. Not the whole cover the way I read it. Doesn't seem terribly difficult. Personally I'd just pay the $250.

I'm sure Aric will confirm.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1997 Prostar 190, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I was about to call Tampa Bay Upholstery since they posted a picture on MasterCraft Boat Owners FB Page of a 205 with a bow cover. By boat has the snaps and I just need the cover.

I'll see what they say.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
I was searching for some pictures I posted of the bow cover I made last summer but don't see them... either way my boat had the snaps in it which made it pretty easy to do. I made a cardboard template first which was I believe 3/4 or 1 inch larger than the centerline of the snap holes. Then I put the temple on the fabric and traced several lines. The first line was for the final size then a line 3/4 or 1" larger than the template and another that much bigger again. That should give you the lines to fold along, and one as a reference to make sure it's the correct final side. I then folded and pinned everything. I sewed it with a heavy thread and went around it twice. I then removed the snaps from the boat and laid the cover on top doing my best to center it. I used the holes in the bow and screws the same size as the snaps screw and working from the corners I stretched the cover installing a screw in each snap hole. I then removed the screws and used the holes the screws created in the fabric to install the buttons. Finally I installed all new snaps on the boat.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Would be nice to have bow cover, for that inadvertant rouge wave mid day…didn't like the idea of drilling: However I did find some snaps that used adhesive instead of screws, snaps came in white only…just an idea for someone...
Old 02-11-2016, 07:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpass View Post
Would be nice to have bow cover, for that inadvertant rouge wave mid day…didn't like the idea of drilling: However I did find some snaps that used adhesive instead of screws, snaps came in white only…just an idea for someone...
You'd think it would help for that Rouge wave, but as my buddy found out it can end up putting the wave right in your lap. He was pulling be on a spring evening (~60 degree water I was in a full wet suit) he turned to pick me up and had a wave come over the bow,ran up the windshield and right on him, his daughter, and my wife.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:07 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Stu, the bow cover is just a little triangle shaped piece of fabric. Not the whole cover the way I read it. Doesn't seem terribly difficult. Personally I'd just pay the $250.

Sorry I read that all wrong, slinking out tail firmly planted between my legs.........

Quote:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post

I couldn't find my magnifying glass and the day nurse said she didn't know where it was either!!!!

Quote:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1428545158

This is before it was fitted all of the way.