Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 11:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2017 Mastercraft XT21
What should I look for on test drive?

I think we have finally found the right boat for us. Its a used 2017 XT21. It only has 45 hours on it and was sold to the original owner in August of this year. They are selling to go bigger.
I am driving 5 hours to test drive the boat this weekend. I am sure it is in fabulous shape BUT, I am not used to wake boats. When I test drive the boat this weekend, what should I check for and test out?
Thanks!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
With a boat that new I would just be looking for obvious damage, testing every feature of the boat to make sure it works properly and feeling for vibration while underway.

Should be pretty straightforward.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
For the most part I agree with the above. However the half full guy in me is looking for the lemon. First I would make absolutely, positively sure that any remaining warranty can be transferred. I would also verify with the dealer this can be done and get a crystal clean explanation of how the process is executed.

The next thing I'd be looking for is service history. What's been worked on, who did it and how often was the boat in the shop. On a new boat like this I'd also be looking very closely at all the nuts, bolts and screws on the engine, trans and at the helm to see if anything shows that it's been apart. If the engine has had any major work you'll see the paint chipped on the bolts from wrenches or sockets. Next I'd check the hull for any blemishes or blem lines from where a repair may have been done. Lastly you may want to get a "car fax" type document on the boat to see if it was involved in any accidents or events that could have damaged the boat.

All this being said it's most likely as the current owner states that they just want a different model but with this kind of investment its always smart to do due diligence.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
The warranty transfer is a card you mail in with I believe $500. Definitely agree to call and verify with MC that it is still valid to transfer. That card is in the owners manual.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Take a creeper, or a piece of cardboard- get under the boat and check every square inch of it and the trailer if applicable. Check all sides and top. Also, make sure every single intricate piece of everything works properly and looks perfect. Pour over every square inch of upholstery inside as well. Odds are, cosmetically if everything is "like new" they had MCOCD and took great care of the boat. If not, walk away. 100% walk away.

Mechanically, run it and also talk to their dealer/service people.

Perfect used boats are out there and they often cost the same as slight blemished. Finding someone with hard core MCOCD with a boat for sale is a blessing.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
I mean it still has almost full warranty left so mechanically look it over but if something does happen or you miss something then it's under warranty so it's not a big deal. Overall I would just look it over and make sure there's no major scratches in the gel coat or blemishes, then look over the interior well also.

I mean it's a 3 month old boat if what you say is true. I know it's possible but someone would really have to try to mess up a brand new boat in 3 months.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X-Star
I would ask to see the service history and any warranty claims against it... that would give you a good idea if it was taken care of or if anything went wrong.

As stated above you have a lot of warranty left, and if the dealer is reputable I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you test drive it and everything seems to be good.

The one thing I would for sure scrutinize is the gel coat. That only has a one year warranty and has the most possibility for damage - I am also saying that because I have seen two relatively new boats recently that have had spider cracks in the gel coat. comb over every inch of the inside and outside of the gelcoat looking for flaws.