Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
ďEasyĒ if your name is waterlogged and youíve done about 2 dozen stringer replacements!
How many hours of labor for a first timer do you figure waterlogged?
Depends on your power tools, and PPE. If youve got a good tyvek suit, belt sanders saws all flap disc in an angle grinder etc. You can have them out real fast.

Fuel drain it all, oil drain it. Pull the plugs and spray a good amount of fogging oil in each, leave them out. Remove carb for cleaning, replace oil amd charge battery. Spin it to lubricate cylinders and get the juices flowing. Replace spark plugs replace fuel, crank till you get clean fuel out of the carb fuel hose. Replace cleaned carb. New raw water impeller and run it!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 83' Mastercraft Starts and Stripes
Well I purchased the boat. Now itís time to go to work to get it back to life. I am planning on the following to start, please help me fill in the gaps:
Oil change with filter
Change trans oil
Cooling system flush with rv antifreeze
New impeller
Plugs and wires
Drain and flush fuel tank
New fuel lines
New belts
Carb cleaning
New air filter

What else should I be changing out before even attempting to start this boat?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:44 AM
TT Newbie

@PS190:
Did not see your response before my last post went up. Thank you for your response. I need a new battery for this. Any suggestions? Also, what fogger should I get, or does it matter? Also, when you say crank it till I get clean fuel from carb, Is that by hand or actually trying to turn it over?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
Are we sure it's wood? Didn't the stringers go to fiberglass halfway through 83?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Any group 65 starting battery will work, does not have to be marine. Just don't get a deep cycle battery.

Fuel pump is mechanical so turning over engine will push fuel through it.

Do you have a closed cooling system? Not sure why you listed flush with RV antifreeze.

if you use your starter to turn it over, be sure there is water to the new impeller.

She is going to pur like a scolded cat and you will be hooked on old flat tappet 351s with straight pipes. Its music to the ears.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for feedback and response! This really is an amazing forum with great people to help. After thinking, it does not make sense to flush the cooling system with antifreeze and it takes on lake water and will just fine. So far I have:
Drained fuel
Changed oil and filter
Changed plugs (fogged each cylendar, then turned the motor over by hand. Motor wasnít ceased and had compression, so Iím stoked about that!.)
Did the lag check on the stringers. 1 lag kept spinning and pulled out on the rear motor mount, but the other tightened just fine, and the rear has 2 bolts per mount on top of 2 lags. All other lags tightened, though I didnít crank super hard so I didnít blow out the stringers.
Pulled carb off to clean
Changing trans fluid tomorrow

I could use some help/tips on following:
What should I put in the hole where the lag is spinning? I donít need all new stringers quite yet.
Tips or suggestions on cleaning the carb. Should I rebuild? Where can I find a kit?
Type of trans fluid to use?
Plug wires. I am not sure where to get what I need for this, or exactly what I need.
Best place to get new impeller? Are they proprietary or fairly universal?

What else should I do before trying to fire this beast up?? It wonít be perfect, but Iíd like to get it started and in the water for a test run. All tips are welcome! Thanks for your help!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
this thread is worthless without pics
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 PM
TT Newbie

I have found it helpful. No one has requested photos yet. What would you like to see? I will post an array or what I have thus far.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:00 AM
TT Newbie

Here are the pics I have
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '87 PS 190
Great job, so far! Bringing an old boat back to life is definitely a labor of love. Your carb looks very serviceable, I would suggest sending it to forum member thatsmrmastercraft for a rebuild. Mine looked like it was salvaged from the Titanic yet he worked it over and it runs like new. Worth every penny. Word of advice, completely dismantle and clean/replace the ENTIRE fuel system, whether you think it needs it or not. It's a royal pain in the butt, but it will eliminate 99.99% of your mechanical headaches down the road. Nothing sucks worse than rebuilding a carb and then sucking trash into it. Just draining the fuel is not enough, IMO. Maybe it's because I have no desire to paddle back in to shore. lol. Just make sure you use the marine rated fuel line and nothing leaks.
You can use plug wires from any auto parts store, a 351 is a 351. Same as a truck motor. If you upgrade to a "hot" electronic ignition system, you should probably upgrade the wires to be able to handle that. Definitely put new plugs in. I prefer the most basic Autolite copper plugs, I think its #24 or 25. Those old motors like a big, healthy spark so save your money that you would spend on those fancy platinum, triple electrode plugs and use it for something else.
The trans uses the regular Mercon ATF fluid. Nothing special there. There is no drain plug on the Velvet Drive transmission, so you will have to get a suck gun to pull it all out. Wish I could tell you there was an easier way.
I don't know what to tell you on the stringer question. You may be able to inject epoxy into the hole, let it cure and then try putting the lag back in? I know that would only be a temporary fix and I hesitate to say that it would work. Just make sure it's safe and it won't destroy your boat.
One other piece of advice, if you pull your gas tank out to clean it, make sure to take your rudder apart and clean out the old grease and put new o-rings in the housing and pump it full of fresh grease. Trust me on this one!! Haha!
Good luck and keep up the good work!