Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-13-2018, 11:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
2008 X2 MCX Cooling Hose collapsing

Having an issue with the cooling system on my 2008 X2 with the MCX. First happened last Saturday. Engine running fine idling tied up to my dock, then weird popping noises and temperature climbs to 180 ish then abruptly drops to 140 (most likely air in system causing bad reading). Turn engine off. Check impeller, its fine. Check transmission cooler for obstruction, find a little seagrass. Put back together and engine runs fine until yesterday.

Popping noise comes back (again sitting idling tied to dock) and temps do the same as before. Take off i think all cooling hoses one by one looking for obstructions, don't find any this time. Have friend turn boat on while I look at it, it has cooled off by this point.

Boat is fine up to temp, thenonce it hits running temp (I think the thermostat opens at his point), the hose that goes between the thermostat hosing and the block starts collapsing, seemingly under vacuum and making the noise. Temp goes up then i assume air in the system readings down under 140.

Which direction is water flowing in that hose, thermostat housing to engine block or engine block to thermostat housing?

Would this be caused by a bad thermostat?

Possible obstruction in the path internal to block? If so could I put a hose on the line in the reverse direction and try to flush it out backwards?

And of course its perfect boating weather...

Last edited by DisguisedRope; 07-13-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Maybe the hose is just bad? Do hoses get soft after a long time? I was under the impression they got hard and brittle.