Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 03-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 4,603
Of the 5 2014 Silverado 1500s that I'm running on the North Slope for 2 months now,3 have been flawless. 2 are plagued with repeated electrical issues.
1 won't fire after every blizzard or blow and needs to be brought in and completely thawed out then runs fine no matter how cold. Down to -40.
The other one keeps running but the dash intermittent lights up like a Xmas tree. Loses power steering,4wd and abs malfunctions.
60% success rate in arctic conditions so far.
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 PM
snobinge's Avatar
snobinge snobinge is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1998 5.7 Vortec
Location: Midwest
Posts: 240
I will admit that I am kind of a Toyota "fanboy". My father in-law was a die hard big 3 truck guy and usually gets a new truck every three years. After bad experiences with all the big 3 I convinced him to get a Tundra. Well he just traded in his 3rd Tundra on a 14' SLT Sierra. He went with the GM because the New Tundra is really just a facelift of his previous 2 trucks and decided to try something new. The Sierra has been in the shop for a couple recall/updates and the chrome on the bumpers/etc. is rusting after 2 months of ownership. He likes the engine and interior. Overall his first impression is negative. I also have a friend that sells Chevy Trucks and he was not very excited about the 2014.

My family has owned a 1988 4runner, 2000 Tacoma, 2004 4runner, 2005 4runner, 2007 Highlander, 2008 Camry, 2006 Tundra, 2010 Tundra, 2012 Tundra. These vehicles have all been fantastic. It may be the "halo" effect, but I would have more confidence in buying a Toyota than any vehicles from the big 3...including trucks. My .02 I guess I should add gas mileage on the Tundras is a different story.

Last edited by snobinge; 03-07-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:14 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobinge View Post
I will admit that I am kind of a Toyota "fanboy". My father in-law was a die hard big 3 truck guy and usually gets a new truck every three years. After bad experiences with all the big 3 I convinced him to get a Tundra. Well he just traded in his 3rd Tundra on a 14' SLT Sierra. He went with the GM because the New Tundra is really just a facelift of his previous 2 trucks and decided to try something new. The Sierra has been in the shop for a couple recall/updates and the chrome on the bumpers/etc. is rusting after 2 months of ownership. He likes the engine and interior. Overall his first impression is negative. I also have a friend that sells Chevy Trucks and he was not very excited about the 2014.

My family has owned a 1988 4runner, 2000 Tacoma, 2004 4runner, 2005 4runner, 2007 Highlander, 2008 Camry, 2006 Tundra, 2010 Tundra, 2012 Tundra. These vehicles have all been fantastic. It may be the "halo" effect, but I would have more confidence in buying a Toyota than any vehicles from the big 3...including trucks. My .02
unless there is owner negligence, I'm calling BS on rust after two months. No new vehicle will do that.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 PM
MC25's Avatar
MC25 MC25 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Posts: 14,320
Thought this thread was over?


Heard this is a new hitch option on the tundra
Attached Images
 
__________________
-Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-07-2014, 12:50 PM
snobinge's Avatar
snobinge snobinge is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1998 5.7 Vortec
Location: Midwest
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
unless there is owner negligence, I'm calling BS on rust after two months. No new vehicle will do that.
Your right...I am making up a story about rust??? And as far as neglect goes...my father in law said he has washed this truck even more religiously than his previous trucks. He made sure to bring it back to the dealer to have it documented for warranty purposes.

I for one am a big fan of the look of the new Sierras and even thought about buying my father in law's when he is ready to upgrade in two years. That is why I have been asking him so many questions about it. One thing I don't like about the Tundra is the gas mileage. Being in sales I can't afford to drive a Tundra. If the estimated gas mileage is accurate on the Sierras it would be too far off from my 4Runner.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM
willyt's Avatar
willyt willyt is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: ER xstar
Location: high in the middle and round on both ends
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Thought this thread was over?


Heard this is a new hitch option on the tundra
that, is awesome. hillllarious.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 PM
hondaprlud hondaprlud is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 08 SANTE 230
Location: Kent, OH-IO
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobinge View Post

My family has owned a 1988 4runner, 2000 Tacoma, 2004 4runner, 2005 4runner, 2007 Highlander, 2008 Camry, 2006 Tundra, 2010 Tundra, 2012 Tundra. These vehicles have all been fantastic. It may be the "halo" effect, but I would have more confidence in buying a Toyota than any vehicles from the big 3...including trucks. My .02 I guess I should add gas mileage on the Tundras is a different story.
I had a 88 4Runner, those removable tops were so cool, loved that truck.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-07-2014, 02:17 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobinge View Post
Your right...I am making up a story about rust??? And as far as neglect goes...my father in law said he has washed this truck even more religiously than his previous trucks. He made sure to bring it back to the dealer to have it documented for warranty purposes.

I for one am a big fan of the look of the new Sierras and even thought about buying my father in law's when he is ready to upgrade in two years. That is why I have been asking him so many questions about it. One thing I don't like about the Tundra is the gas mileage. Being in sales I can't afford to drive a Tundra. If the estimated gas mileage is accurate on the Sierras it would be too far off from my 4Runner.
I've never seen a vehicle, from any manufacturer, have rust when it's two months old. And we live in a harsh environment. Something extreme must be going on in you FIL truck.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 PM
fskof's Avatar
fskof fskof is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
I've never seen a vehicle, from any manufacturer, have rust when it's two months old. And we live in a harsh environment. Something extreme must be going on in you FIL truck.
I have. Back in college I worked for a Ford dealership and we were constantly ordering new parts under warranty because of rust issues. My old Dodge Dakota rear bumper started to rust after 11 months. My next door neighbors Dodge Ram did the same thing.
__________________
2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 AM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskof View Post
I have. Back in college I worked for a Ford dealership and we were constantly ordering new parts under warranty because of rust issues. My old Dodge Dakota rear bumper started to rust after 11 months. My next door neighbors Dodge Ram did the same thing.
When was "back in college"? There is no way any new vehicle, I don't care if its a Diatsu or a Chevrolet, should rust that quickly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 PM.


2018