Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Carpet Replacement + Glue

I am posting to add to the body of knowledge chronicled on this site. Moreover, I'll make some recommendations that would have been helpful. Here we go...

My 2000 PS 205 has been in desperate need of carpet. More than anything else, the adhesive failed and many of the sub panels would not sit flush any longer. Too, the carpet was getting pretty gnarly, despite my efforts to clean.

I started by getting several free (yes, free to include shipping) carpet samples from Corinthian Marine Carpet. My wife and I settled on a style and color.

Next, I removed all of the interior. Once I did that, most of the carpet lifted right out (the adhesive was gone!). Subsequently, I took measurements on everything. I figured, and figured some more. I ended up getting a 30 foot x eight foot roll of carpet. The carpet only comes in eight foot width. For the two long runners on either side of the engine box, they both had pieces that were at parts five feet wide. Point being, a 20 foot length will not work. With a 30 foot roll, you're going to have some excess.

Once the roll arrived, I used the two long runners (the two long pieces on either side of the engine) as templates. I traced and then used a carpet blade and cut. That worked well. For the hatches and sub-panels, I found that making templates was ineffective. Rather, put the panel on the carpet and cut it out (its like wrapping a Christmas present).

A few points:
- I used two buckets of indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive from Lowes ($25/bucket). I read some guys say one bucket was more than enough. I was scraping the bottom of the second bucket!

- That glue sucks! It gets everywhere...all over your hands, trowel, putty knife. It is water soluble. Keep a garden hose close by for your hands.

- The hatch/panel for the ski locker is a pill! It has a piano hinge and a bunch of screws and thread locker nuts a bolts. Take your time.

- I read about guys using acetone and sand paper. I used a gas-powered pressure washer to clean off all the old glue inside the boat and from all the panel. I spent at least two-to-three hours with the pressure washer. All the glue came off.

- IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you keep track of which was the grain is running on your carpet. Once the carpet arrived, I used a sharpie on the back/under side and made lots of arrows point forward. In other words, all of the runs and panels in your boat need to have the carpet running the same way. If you lose track and put a piece in the wrong way, it is going to look funny. There are a number of YouTube videos on this.

- I did not replace the carpet under the observer seat, help, of bow section.

- I put my boat away for winter with a full fuel tank. It was PITA to move the tank around full. I probably should have pumped it all out. I had to unbolt the tank and move it around.

- I keep my boat pretty clean. I could not believe all the crud and gunk behind all the panels and nooks and crannies. Yuck.

- Work in small sections and take your time. This is not a technical job, its just grunt work.

Good luck and I hope this helps someone down the line.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2018, 02:40 PM
MC Platinum

First
Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX 5.7
Nice job! I know the feeling of the amount of work involved. I went with EVA synthetic foam instead of the carpet.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2018, 10:07 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
nice job on both types... not looking forward to this job
Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM
MC Platinum

That foam looks nice.

Yes, Mike it is a PITA. But, nice once it is done.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205
I’m in the process of stripping my old carpet out now. I’m thinking of a Rhino type bed liner paint instead of carpet. Easier to install and clean. I’ve never liked the carpet. Still researching what I’m going to do though.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX 5.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMUDBUGS View Post
Iím in the process of stripping my old carpet out now. Iím thinking of a Rhino type bed liner paint instead of carpet. Easier to install and clean. Iíve never liked the carpet. Still researching what Iím going to do though.
Bet that would get HOT!
Old 05-20-2018, 06:06 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PS209 View Post
Bet that would get HOT!
Agreed...and at some point, you will likely sell the boat. That would be a huge turn off for me.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

It is my understanding you can get it in colors and not just black. I wouldn’t do it in black because it would get very hot. I would do white or light grey. As for resale, I’m not concerned. I’ll keep it till the motor goes out or it sinks. I’m on a very limited budget and doing my best to stay on the water.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well I just ordered 3 rolls of EVA in light grey.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132621408441