Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2016, 09:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 X23 6.2L
Trailer Brake Fluid

How often do you guys change the brake fluid in the trailers?

Any other regular maitanence you guys keep up with throughout the year?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197, 2002
There should be no reason to change the fluid unless you think it is old and is contaminated. The other big thing to do to your trailer is to change the oil in the hubs. I do it at the end of each season.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Brake fluid will eventually absorb water from the atmosphere. Then add in the fact that you are dipping your brakes in the lake every time that you launch your boat. I have not had my boat that long, but I just flushed out the brake fluid last year. I plan to do it at least every 4 years. A lot of car manufacturer's say to change it every two years, but I think that is overkill.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I just changed mine for the second time in two years, I was surprised how dirty the inside of the master cylinder was. I tried to get it as clean as possible this time, will check it again next year and change as needed.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
take some out - if it's not black - its still good.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I just use a large syringe and change the volume in the reservoir every season, sometimes twice if I think about it. Most of your fluid volume is in there and it will eventually exchange with the lines and calipers. It takes two minutes, costs like $1-2, is easier than changing the entire volume every few years, and if there's any moisture in there you're removing it relatively quickly rather than letting it sit there for 3+ years. I've had to deal with a couple of brake systems on vehicles and trailers that were neglected and severely corroded with no salt exposure. I'd rather spend 2 mins and $2 per year and never have to deal with that.

If yours is nasty start with a full fluid change. IMHO if you're just maintaining a system in good order then change what's in the master cylinder annually. I still suck it all out via the calipers every few seasons too though.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I go through my brake system every other year. Pull the calipers, grease the slides then flush the lines. I start like Jeff and pull all the fluid out in the reservoir then use my Motive Bleeder (https://www.motiveproducts.com) to flush the lines. I do all this with the boat on the lift so lifting the trailer and moving it around is no big deal. Takes me about 2 hours cover to cover including beer time.

It's probably a bit of overkill based on the miles I tow but when you own a trailer with Reliable components you better do a lot of maintenance or be prepared to do the conversion.