Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I can confirm that none of that runs through he MDC. The check engine light and the beeper both connect directly to the engine's computer as CruisinGA suggests.

After 2.5 seasons with my MDCectomy I can say without reservation that the MDC/Medallion bus gauges is really a useless system with no redeeming quality. It was a "solution" looking for a problem that didn't exist... Unless the problem was that the analog gauges were too easy for the lay person to understand and troubleshoot and the solution was to incorporate complexity into a system to increase dealer service revenues.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5 "Red Five"
No, only 12V, ground and sensor wires run through MMDC using standard sensor wire colors.

The 4 wires that run to the Medallion gauges are 12V, ground, nav and yellow for the signal wire. The signal wire is converted from ohms to volts by the mdc.

The blue nav wires are wired directly to the light switch
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
It was a "solution" looking for a problem that didn't exist... Unless the problem was that the analog gauges were too easy for the lay person to understand and troubleshoot and the solution was to incorporate complexity into a system to increase dealer service revenues.
Jeff my rationalization for the MMDC design was that MC often looks to push the envelope and try "new" for the sake of "new." I think the MMDC falls in this category. Digital guages were new and different in a boat and I'm sure the needle sweep and "ticking" at reset probably seemed cool to new boat buyers at the time. Just turned out to be an unreliable system!

Looking forward to swapping my gauges soon.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:54 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Jeff my rationalization for the MMDC design was that MC often looks to push the envelope and try "new" for the sake of "new." I think the MMDC falls in this category. Digital guages were new and different in a boat and I'm sure the needle sweep and "ticking" at reset probably seemed cool to new boat buyers at the time. Just turned out to be an unreliable system!

Looking forward to swapping my gauges soon.
It wasn't just MC though. It seems that almost all inboard boat manufacturers went to the Medallion system around 2000. Malibu, Correct Craft, et al used the Medallion system. It probably was a combination of Medallion having good marketing/sales teams, offering compelling pricing, and whoever was in charge of gauge related decision making at the boat manufacturers not really evaluating what functionality and/or value the system was offering over the analog gauges they were replacing.

I hadn't considered the gauge "salute" after key on as a potential deal maker. That is a "feature" that you do indeed lose by going to analog gauges.

I prefer conspiracy theories!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
It wasn't just MC though. It seems that almost all inboard boat manufacturers went to the Medallion system around 2000. Malibu, Correct Craft, et al used the Medallion system.
I prefer conspiracy theories!
I forgot that other manufacturers used the system as well! Conspiracy theory wins
Old 08-07-2016, 12:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR 330HP, ZeroFlex Tower, KGB Ballast, PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro,
I actually view the MDC as the precursor to the full-digital read-out gauges you are seeing today. Kind of like the way Microsoft used Vista as the stepping stone for Win7(I'm a computer guy). The MDC worked ok, but like Jeff said, it was a solution to a non-existing problem at the time. I also believe it was a sales/marketing effort too. They would brand the gauges for the manufacturer. Faria would probably loved the opportunity to brand the gauges for MC or any other, and maybe even do. (I did no research on that...so I got nothin)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X10 LTR
Used this last week. Thanks for doing the research for us. Made it all pretty easy.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
From Wakescene: "I actually view the MDC as the precursor to the full-digital read-out gauges you are seeing today."

I was looking at Livorsi gages...instead using a MDC OR MMDC...the Livosi gages can use information now directly from the newer style ECM...this eliminates the MDC OR MMDC altogether..ah ha...So the next question how can we upgrade our ECMS. But yes to the precursor of technology, WAKESCENE was right on.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpass View Post
.the Livosi gages can use information now directly from the newer style ECM...this eliminates the MDC OR MMDC altogether..ah ha...So the next question how can we upgrade our ECMS.
I'm not familiar specifically with what you're referring to but it probably is like automotive gauges where they read CAN bus data from the ECU (MEFI in this case) and respond appropriately. My first thoughts would be that it would be an unnecessarily complex project with no real benefits.

First of all, most of the senders on this generation of boats don't run through the MEFI computer at all. It's crude relative to automobile ECUs of similar vintage. So, the computer doesn't have any clue what the specific temperature of the block is, the speed of the boat, the fuel level, the oil pressure, etc. It would know RPM and battery voltage but that's it. If the MEFI doesn't know what the conditions are then it obviously can't communicate that to a gauge for display to the operator. Conditions on these older fuel injected boats are monitored by the ECU with simple binary switches attached to various points on the engine. Then there are separate senders that communicate the "rich data" regarding those conditions (e.g. actual oil pressure PSI, water temperature in degrees, etc. through variable resistors) directly to the MDC/guages and the MEFI doesn't even know they exist.

So, you have an oil pressure switch that is in one condition when oil pressure is "OK" and another condition when it's "Bad". If it's low, the switch trips and the MEFI is like "oh crap, we have an oil pressure condition" and takes whatever action it's been programmed to take (e.g. illuminate "Check Engine" light, retard performance, shut down, whatever) but it doesn't know how many PSI the pressure is to even begin to send that data to a gauge. Then, there's a completely separate oil pressure sender that varies based on actual pressure but it's connected straight to the MDC and never stops to visit the MEFI. Same for the temperature.

Even if you could swap in a newer generation MEFI (Can you even get one for a 5.7L GM?) you'd have to get all of the appropriate senders and wire them up to feed said MEFI the data on all of the conditions... and it still has a layer of abstraction from the discrete senders so you'd re-gain almost all of the negatives of the MDC.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM
TT Newbie

Hey Jeff. I was going through your instructions last night to perform an MDC delete on my 2003 Mastercraft Maristar 210 and hit a bit of a road block. My wiring harness seems to be a bit different. Do you or anyone else on here have experience doing this on an 03 Maristar? As a side note, I installed a new Perfect Pass stargazer last year and utilize the plug and play harness as well so I want to make sure I keep that functional. Thank you for any help you can offer!