Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Im pretty sure you have never tried it yourself.You can not screw it up. You are beating a piece of metal with a rubber mallet not a steel hammer. It is a very slow process that is impossible to screw up if you measure carefully. You want to beat the bent side in the soft grass so you do not damage the other blades. It will take about 45 mins to bend a blade that is just slightly bent because it is a soft hammer you are using. There is a method to the madness and it does work. Measure a brand new prop and you will see that the blades all measure identical at the highest point and at the lowest point. All you are trying to accomplish is getting a bent prop back to proportionate conditions of the other blades. Im an HVAC guy by trade and a business owner of 23 years and do not always have time to run down to a machine shop everytime I run into an out of balance blower wheel or fan blade when I have an office of 100 people that are hot. But hey I guess you know a heck of alot more than I do so keep on laughing.
I didn't find any ill will in the comments. I think you will find EJ is somewhat of an expert on all things prop related for our boats. If he says you can render it unrepairable, it is so. I have experienced vibration on props that looked fine to the naked eye until we started measuring them up. I would think that trying to straighten one with a hammer would be tough to get really fixed. If you're achieving results that you're satisfied with, more power to you.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Mikes Performance Prop. Get it done RIGHT!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Im pretty sure you have never tried it yourself.You can not screw it up. You are beating a piece of metal with a rubber mallet not a steel hammer. It is a very slow process that is impossible to screw up if you measure carefully. You want to beat the bent side in the soft grass so you do not damage the other blades. It will take about 45 mins to bend a blade that is just slightly bent because it is a soft hammer you are using. There is a method to the madness and it does work. Measure a brand new prop and you will see that the blades all measure identical at the highest point and at the lowest point. All you are trying to accomplish is getting a bent prop back to proportionate conditions of the other blades. Im an HVAC guy by trade and a business owner of 23 years and do not always have time to run down to a machine shop everytime I run into an out of balance blower wheel or fan blade when I have an office of 100 people that are hot. But hey I guess you know a heck of alot more than I do so keep on laughing.
Sorry, I certainly wasn't laughing at you. Like Surfer said, just the mental image was good for a laugh. My apologies, didn't mean to offend you.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 MC 205 ProStar 351
I may be a Neanderthal, but I've dinged props on boat lift and rocks and other stuff several times. If the damage is small, there's no problem pounding the bent edges out yourself. I won't be perfect but it will keep your vacation or weekend going.

When I've fixed my own props, I've taken the prop off and straightened the bent edges using a ball peen hammer (round end) and a block of wood on the back side for support. If you can get it to where it looks pretty good it will often work fine with minimal or no extra vibration. Even the Mastercraft owners manual for my '92 205 recommends this treatment. Tap carefully, no big swings, and you aren't going to do any extra damage.

If you put it back on and it vibrates, take it to a propeller repair shop and get it fixed right. You won't pay any extra for the prop repair - there's usually a minimum charge to fix minor damage and get it back to new specs. But if it works fine you've saved the $80-$100 minimum charge (or more).

Note that the advice above only applies to minor damage. If your prop is cracked, torn, or missing bits of metal then the above crude repair job won't fix it.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Maybee you guys are right. Come to think of it. Last time I was whacking my prop in the front yard(no pun intended) this lady walking her dog was looking at me like what the heck is that guy doing.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Outback DD
You didn't just coin a new "whacking my prop" phrase did you?

"And there I was, whacking my prop, when I notice my mother in law has been peering through the fence the whole time..."

Ha!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
You didn't just coin a new "whacking my prop" phrase did you?

"And there I was, whacking my prop, when I notice my mother in law has been peering through the fence the whole time..."

Ha!
Better than a dutch rudder with the neighbors watching!