Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X45
2006 X45 Wake Surf Set Up

I have a 2006 x-45 with the 8.1L in it. I am a huge wakeboarder but all my friends that come with me and all the girls just want to wake surf. I have the factory ballast in there and the adjustment plate also but i cant seem to get the wake strong enough to surf with out a rope.

Just looking some advice on how to accomplish wake surfing without a rope. If its another ballast adding trim tabs to the bottom, just let me know what has been working for you all.

Thank you for the help.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X45, 2010, LV6
Add more Ballast....check Wakemakers.com for Ballast Bags.
I recommend Fatsack that match the Storage next to the engine x-star model 2010 bags fit well.
Additionally get some Fatbricks and a Hurrican Pump.

Factory Ballast fill the side you want to surf...and cockpit Tank....leave other side tank empty.
In general: Most Ballast you can put always in the back and side you surf.
Speed around 10 miles.

I have 2010 x45 and surfing works great without rope with this setup. Surftabs not needed (I have them and dont use them) Adjustment plate up...only use for skiing to flat the wake.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft X45
We have an '08 X45 and we surf 90% of the time. Our setup is:

Stock ballast filled (1000 lbs total)
400 in each rear locker
1000 on front seat (working to get this plumbed in under seats this year)
add'l 750 that we center on the floor in the rear of the boat if we have fewer than 5 adults in the boat
Mission Delta on side opposite of surfer.

So we weigh our boat evenly and attach the wakeshaper to shape our wave. The first time we tried, all we had was stock full and then would fill rear locker on whatever side we were surfing, not even close to being able to surf. Then we got the 1000 lb sack up front and we could throw the rope, but still wasn't great. Then we put the 750 on the side we would surf and it was pretty good. When we finally added the Mission Delta (or any wakeshaper for that matter) and evenly weighted our boat, it literally doubled our wave overnight and is now a blast to surf. Good luck

Tags
ballast, surf, wakesurf