Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
is there a method to measuring it?

Thanks.

Jack
Yes there is

I have a HO Burner that's a 67", it's a wide body ski and very forgiving, it's in the boat as the free for all ski. I personally have/ski the Mach 1 and love it
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'm 6'1" and 210 - 215 and ski a 69" Radar Senate. I just sold a Connelly Concept with double high wraps. It was a good ski but a bit short from my size/weight. Fist thing I notice going up a size was that the ski was just overall easier to ride.

As far as brands go it's tough to go wrong with any of the majors these days. Radar, Connelly, HO, O'Brien all have a full line up of good skis. Based on your skill level try not to go for a tournament level ski as it will probably be a bit twitchy for your skill level and not so good for open water recreational skiing. I've bought and sold used gear on skier to skier and would recommend them as a good place to buy and sell from.

As far as bindings go..... It's going to pretty much be a personal preference. I found running double wraps more challenging on starts (as in many non starts). Based on your size/skill level I would expect the same for you. They will however also provide the most control.
Correction on my site recommendation...... It was ski it again for used gear. Skier to Skier is for props, Perfect Pass, and course gear. Sorry.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Malibu Response LX w/ LS1
The HO Burner is a 67" ski, originally rated by HO for 160 - 200 lbs. It was part of their Competition Freeride series, and was accompanied by the 65" Venture, 69" Charger, and 71" Magnum. It is a great ski if you are a 26 - 32 mph skier, though I've got a few friends that have run it through the slalom course at -15 32 as well. The flex is rather soft, meaning very forgiving but also a bit slow in its response times. If you are looking for something reasonably priced to help shake off the cobwebs, I would have a hard time recommending something better.

I do urge you to try the Approach boots if at all possible prior to purchasing. They have a very different stance to them in comparison to other boots; much more knees-forward. I had a ski a few years back that I sold to a friend, and they are really a personal preference item.

The stabilizer wing is nothing more than a brake for your ski, as alluded to earlier. If you aren't skiing a slalom course at 34+ mph at -22 or -28 or deeper, you shouldn't 'need' to have the brake on anyways. You can adjust the angle of the brake so as you shift your weight forward on the ski going into your pre-turn, the ski slows to maintain a tight tow line. Don't let the lack of this brake affect your decision at this time.

Brand-wise, I am partial to HO and now Radar. At the risk of getting into a history lesson, we all know the O'Brien name, started by Herb O'Brien. When Herb walked away from O'Brien, he started using his initials (HO). When Herb walked away from HO, he started using the name of his ski lake, Radar. Obviously some good blood-lines in all three companies.

If I could offer two other skis to look for, that would most likely fall within your price range, they would be the HO Triumph and the Radar P6.

Hope the above helps, good luck with the search!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '85 S&S black/gray
This forum sure is helpful, thanks very much for all the input! I think I'm going to look at snagging that Burner for this summer and next year I'll invest in something newer.

I really appreciate it!

Cheers.

Jack - brought home the boat last night!
'85 S&S
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '85 S&S black/gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Correction on my site recommendation...... It was ski it again for used gear. Skier to Skier is for props, Perfect Pass, and course gear. Sorry.
No worries, gotcha.

Jack
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
This forum sure is helpful, thanks very much for all the input! I think I'm going to look at snagging that Burner for this summer and next year I'll invest in something newer.

I really appreciate it!

Cheers.

Jack - brought home the boat last night!
'85 S&S
You wont regret that choice, it's a fun ski everyone can ride. Nice little history lesson from No Skeez, wonder how that BU's working for him? I go both ways so I'm guessing very well