Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
speedo ballast tubes on late-model boats?

Just wondering...
Do late-model boats with electro-mechanical gauges BUT still using pitot pickups require a ballast tube (aka. balance tube or equalizer tube) in the speedo air line?

This would be boats from the mid 90s until about 07 when paddle wheel pickups were introduced.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
Just wondering...
Do late-model boats with electro-mechanical gauges BUT still using pitot pickups require a ballast tube (aka. balance tube or equalizer tube) in the speedo air line?

This would be boats from the mid 90s until about 07 when paddle wheel pickups were introduced.

They should not, because the paddle wheel sends a electromagnetic signal to the electronic speedometer.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks. But maybe my question wasn't clear. I was referring to boats BEFORE the paddle wheel but with the newer gauges.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
Thanks. But maybe my question wasn't clear. I was referring to boats BEFORE the paddle wheel but with the newer gauges.

There was a period that the pitots/tubes sent the pressure into the MDC box, IIRC. That same box, gets damaged in some cases if the tubes aren't removed and drained during winterization and the water in the tubes freeze and breaks the connection on the box, but as far as a ballast tube, I can't answer that. Something tells me they don't have them, because they use the water as pressure to operate the speedos to the MDC box, rather than air pressure as with the old style Airguide speedometers.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:31 PM
MC Devotee

My 01 X5 doesn't have the ballast tubes so that confirms what you said. As far as I can tell there are no splices/repairs in the air lines anywhere from where they enter the hull at the stern to the MDC so I think that's the way it came from the factory.

I just replaced my MDC -- likely the PO didn't drain the lines -- but I wanted to make sure about the ballast before I hooked the air lines back up in case I wrecked the new MDC on my next outing.

I guess with the new speedo/MDC combination, the need to buffer the air pressure like with the old Airguides no longer exists.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Matrix Sorrento Profooter with 225HO E-TEC
Airguides are better without the brass equalizer tubes too. http://www.airguide.com.au/index.php?p=1_4
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks. That's an informative link.
Still though, the top competition boats used them for years. There had to be a reason the factory deemed it best to install them. I wonder how many MC owners removed them?