Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
That sounds like a really good thing to check, tph.

There's something really badly wrong with that much water coming in. Fortunately, everything there is pretty simple to troubleshoot.

/frank
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
It almost sounds like the hose between the packing and the thru hull fitting failed.
DING DING DING, we have a WINNER!!!!!!!! Don tell him what hes won. Well Bob, he now gets to tell you how the heck to get the shaft off the tranny so you can replace the hose!!!

Congratulations!
Attached Images

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
DING DING DING, we have a WINNER!!!!!!!! Don tell him what hes won. Well Bob, he now gets to tell you how the heck to get the shaft off the tranny so you can replace the hose!!!

Congratulations!

Looks to me like the clamp failed and the shaft log has slid forward up against the coupling off the brass fitting fiberglassed/bolted into the hull. You should be able to slide it back over the fitting and install a couple new ss/clamps, that is unless the rubber tube had been damaged or part of it is missing.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
Looks to me like the clamp failed and the shaft log has slid forward up against the coupling off the brass fitting fiberglassed/bolted into the hull. You should be able to slide it back over the fitting and install a couple new ss/clamps, that is unless the rubber tube had been damaged or part of it is missing.
Does that look like a long enough piece? I didnt think about sliding it back, I dont remember what it looked like working. I have to go to autozone tonight anyhow so I can pick up some clamps.

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post

Congratulations!
You're not going to like the answer....but...Skidim has a great step by step instruction sheet.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 AM
MC Hero

IIRC, you have a PowerSlot and even with the longer transmission, your packing nut should not be up against the coupling. There should be a space between them so you have room to unbolt the coupling and get to the nut in the end of the shaft in the coupling. the rubber should be toward the rear on the thru hull fitting. Since the one clamp went bad, replace them all with new stainless ones.
Attachment 59049

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:48 AM
MC Devotee

more

Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
You're not going to like the answer....but...Skidim has a great step by step instruction sheet.
If you decide to replace the hose (i.e. pull the shaft) you may want to replace the strut bushings at the same time.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
If you do decidde to replace the strut bearing as well you might need one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZ2mSH_Ncc

I replaced my brass/Rubber with the vesconite Bearings. The Bearings went in tight, but only after 2 trips the inner most bearing started spinning inside the Strut and came out half way...

If they went in tight, I'm not sure why they would come loose, but I tapped the end of the strut so the bearing wouldn't come out. However, it does still spin a bit in the strut...

Vesconite...

i'm wondering if I should go back to these:

Cutlass:

Anywho, do your research and let us know what you decide...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
If you do decidde to replace the strut bearing as well you might need one of these:

I replaced my brass/Rubber with the vesconite Bearings. The Bearings went in tight, but only after 2 trips the inner most bearing started spinning inside the Strut and came out half way...

If they went in tight, I'm not sure why they would come loose, but I tapped the end of the strut so the bearing wouldn't come out. However, it does still spin a bit in the strut...

Vesconite...

Cutlass:

IIRC there are two sizes (diameters). Perhaps you have the wrong size?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:44 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post

Vesconite...

Cutlass:

MM, contact TT member XPC Sealman about your strut bearing problem by pm or @ http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us.
I bet he can help.