Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-20-2018, 04:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
Any suggestions on what I should start with if I can find it?

Marvel Mystery Oil first if available? Then Seafoam? Then ordinary engine oil? i.e., is one better than the other, or will all likely serve the purpose?
they should all work fine but Im thinking the Cleaner effect of seafoam or mystery oil will help get rid of the water faster than just engine oil meant for lubrication only. I would do both at the same time.

Have you ever used sea-foam or anything like it? It states on the can that overuse will not harm your engine. worst case in this situation is that it does nothing to help it get going.

Are you plugs tilted downward or upward? if downward might take a few extra turns since the stuff will want to drain out instead of sit inside.

I would just spray it in for a second in a circular motion to try and coat the whole cylinder inside. get the engine to turn over once or twice on all cylinders then do it again. and repeat a couple times and see if it gets turning. if you do get it going like I suspect it will. if you don't want to waste time with compression testing you can just let it air out a few minutes then put the plugs in and give it a shot.

don't forget to unplug your fuel pump or injectors if you haven't already...you don't need fuel in there while your spraying that stuff.

EDIT: sea foam is definately at any auto store...as well as the lucas oil stuff and a bunch of others. I would just use seafoam. the different between all of them won't matter at this point and seafoam is in a easy spray can.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
if you can't find marvel then just regular oil go with a 0 weight along that line... heck even wd40 would work... just don't start
it sea foam is a cleaner more than a lubricator...
Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Skier, 1986, 351 Ford PCM
I'll try the lubricant, etc. tonight and report back.

In the interim, (and this may sound dumb) where would the water have come from if the head gasket isn't toast? Isn't the exhaust water separated from the cylinders within the exhaust manifolds?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
The exhaust comes up into the exhaust manifold up into the riser. Water comes into the water jacket of the manifold and up into the outer jacket kd the riser, they mix after the bend and flow together out the exhaust.

Water in cylinders comes from either rotten exhaust manifold or through leaking head gasket...
Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
I seriously doubt you have engine problems, and just so you know, putting a bunch of oil in the cylinders of course won't hurt the engine, but it may make it difficult to start. May want to have an extra set of plugs on hand or just know that an oily cylinder may foul them once trying to crank.

Here's what I'm thinking.... You noticed it over heating and had a panic shut down while moving, water came from the exhaust backwards into the cylinders. You mentioned not reconnecting the raw water hose, therefore there shouldn't have been any water in the engine where it would normally be and couldn't come in through a blown head gasket. Also a blown gasket wouldn't let enough water in to fill a cylinder enough to cause the starter to drag anyways. And on the subject of the starter, it may be shot now from the struggle it had with trying to crank a water locked engine.... You may try turning over with the plugs out, if it's still slow, starter is gone.... Back to the oil in the cylinder, personally I think you'd be better off spraying a little wd40 just to prevent corrosion, turn the engine over a few times with the starter, then install plugs and fire it up. These engines are very tough and I bet you haven't hurt a thing. Just chalk it up as lesson learned

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
The exhaust comes up into the exhaust manifold up into the riser. Water comes into the water jacket of the manifold and up into the outer jacket kd the riser, they mix after the bend and flow together out the exhaust.

Water in cylinders comes from either rotten exhaust manifold or through leaking head gasket...
That's the way I understood it... which is why I can't imagine the head gasket isn't fried somewhere... even if I do get it free.

Then again, if I did get it free, I could do a half *** (cold) compression test to at least narrow down cylinders or if all equal, maybe rule out the head gasket and suspect exhaust gasket....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
I seriously doubt you have engine problems, and just so you know, putting a bunch of oil in the cylinders of course won't hurt the engine, but it may make it difficult to start. May want to have an extra set of plugs on hand or just know that an oily cylinder may foul them once trying to crank.

Here's what I'm thinking.... You noticed it over heating and had a panic shut down while moving, water came from the exhaust backwards into the cylinders. You mentioned not reconnecting the raw water hose, therefore there shouldn't have been any water in the engine where it would normally be and couldn't come in through a blown head gasket. Also a blown gasket wouldn't let enough water in to fill a cylinder enough to cause the starter to drag anyways. And on the subject of the starter, it may be shot now from the struggle it had with trying to crank a water locked engine.... You may try turning over with the plugs out, if it's still slow, starter is gone.... Back to the oil in the cylinder, personally I think you'd be better off spraying a little wd40 just to prevent corrosion, turn the engine over a few times with the starter, then install plugs and fire it up. These engines are very tough and I bet you haven't hurt a thing. Just chalk it up as lesson learned

I appreciate the input and vote of confidence. I think the worst part was telling my girls "no boat" for the week.... especially when I couldn't fault anything other than my own impatience.... thank God for pontoon rentals... lol.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:29 PM
TT Regular

Well.... found Marvel Mystery Oil... sprayed liberally about an hour ago and let sit for half an hour. Tried to turn over with fresh battery and still turned HARD. Sprayed again and let sit another half hour after battery charged.... charger on jump mode... still HARD.

I'd consider starter issues, but it turns very hard manually as well.

I guess let it sit over night and try tomorrow......

Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
You haven't hurt anything. I bet with a new starter it'll fire right up. Nothing else needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
I appreciate the input and vote of confidence. I think the worst part was telling my girls "no boat" for the week.... especially when I couldn't fault anything other than my own impatience.... thank God for pontoon rentals... lol.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
I would pull the starter off. Had a friend that made this same mistake 3 times. Once so bad ot burned the fiberglass mufflers and had to replace them. Motor was fine every time. Never even used more oil. Seems more likely starter got screwed up trying to turn the motor over while hydrolocked.