Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I'm a big proponent of ignoring the scale, focusing on healthy protein, fiber and complex carbs (oatmeal, veggies). You also need weight lifting to build muscle. Putting on a little muscle goes a long way to permanently increasing your base metabolic rate. You can run for an hour and burn 400 calories one time, or add some muscle and burn that same 400 every day (400 is my rough number as an example). I don't remember the statistic, but after you turn 30, the average male has X pounds of muscle turn to fat every year. I also say ignore the scale and focus on how you look since muscle weighs more than fat.

I'm also not saying ignore cardio, just don't ignore lifting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
^ This is why I like splitting wood. Cardio, moving heavy logs (weights) around, fast twitch muscle fiber activation (explosive movements)... I'll turn 52 this summer and I can still split more wood than my 19 year olds.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-27-2015, 12:35 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I work out almost every day - minimize the alcohol intake as much as possible.. this year working on stabilizing the intake so I don't yo-yo. I actually gain in the summer months due to increase brew intake... Touched 210 in the fall - back to 199 - heading to 185-190 and going to keep it there.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I work out almost every day - minimize the alcohol intake as much as possible.. this year working on stabilizing the intake so I don't yo-yo. I actually gain in the summer months due to increase brew intake... Touched 210 in the fall - back to 199 - heading to 185-190 and going to keep it there.
That, as we all know, is the hardest part.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-27-2015, 01:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
I'm down about 6-7 lbs for about the past month. I do cardio at the gym about 3x a week for a minimum of 2 hours each time then follow up with a little on the weights. My downfall is diet. Wife keeps bringing home lots of junk food and will not stop it. I need impose a lot more self control on myself.
2 hours = way too much cardio. Going to send your body into catabolic state with that much! I push hard through 25-45 min 3-4x a week depending on if I'm doing Liss or HIIT
Old 02-27-2015, 02:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
2 hours = way too much cardio. Going to send your body into catabolic state with that much! I push hard through 25-45 min 3-4x a week depending on if I'm doing Liss or HIIT
I couldnt imagine going 2 hours strait with cardio. I have dont alot of the workout videos some are pure cardio others are a blend of cardio,plyo and body weight. Worked well for me.....wish i would have kept at it. Still 20 pounds down from when I started but nto at my lowest. Need to get back at it before summer....which at the rate we are going I have a few more months.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
I couldnt imagine going 2 hours strait with cardio. I have dont alot of the workout videos some are pure cardio others are a blend of cardio,plyo and body weight. Worked well for me.....wish i would have kept at it. Still 20 pounds down from when I started but nto at my lowest. Need to get back at it before summer....which at the rate we are going I have a few more months.
Couldn't agree more. Intensity is the key. In our HIIT/Xfitclasses I burn 700 calories in 45 minutes and that is all I need for the day. It is a combination of cardio and weights (mostly exercises that use your own body as weight)

Tracking your calories with an App like Fitness Pal is really effective. What you eat has more (60-70%) to contribute to your weight and fitness level than exercising. Remember that if you are dropping weight faster than 2lbs per week you are losing muscle and that is not good in the long run. A lot of people don't like this reality.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Couldn't agree more. Intensity is the key. In our HIIT/Xfitclasses I burn 700 calories in 45 minutes and that is all I need for the day. It is a combination of cardio and weights (mostly exercises that use your own body as weight)

Tracking your calories with an App like Fitness Pal is really effective. What you eat has more (60-70%) to contribute to your weight and fitness level than exercising. Remember that if you are dropping weight faster than 2lbs per week you are losing muscle and that is not good in the long run. A lot of people don't like this reality.
I would say more than 2 pounds would be ok if you are bigger....Heck I can vary 6 pounds in a day
Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
It's not bad if you build up with a strong base.. get's real boring indoors... I bicycle indoors in the winter.. run about 68-72% my max heart rate on a daily basis and 2-3 hours on saturday or sunday at 55-65% my max heart rate - Outdoors I run about. 70-75% max heart while riding outside - average ride is 3 hours.. 45-50 miles.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
I dropped from 178 at the end of December and weighed in at 160 yesterday.... some insanity, better eating habits, and will power......

I'm 6'1" so getting pretty skinny, just wanted to get ride of my gut.... got tired of getting tan lines on my gut folds... Finally seeing abs that have been hidden for over 6 years