Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 11-02-2018, 06:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 x45
Piggyback Ballast Install - Check Valve or No Check Valve?

One winter project this year is to install piggyback bags on top of the hard tanks in my x45. I've got the basics, hard take vent to ballast bag, then vent bag to stock vent. My question is do I need a check valve on the vent? Researching I've seen it done both ways. Is there a right answer?

I don't see a good reason for the check valve. Won't the bag collapse while draining with or without it? Some say it's to prevent the hard tank from cracking if the bag collapses on itself. I don't see how a check valve makes any difference.

I've also seen the kit from Wake Makers. Is that worth the $260? Seems like a lot for some basic plumbing fittings. I've already got the bags.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X15 MCX
The following shows Wakemaker's configuration.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft
My 2011 X25 has the factory hard tanks and two factory option soft sacks in the rear lockers. Each hard tank is direct plumbed to the soft sack. The soft sack is directly plumbed to the vent on the side of the boat. There is no check valve between the soft sack and the vent. Best I can tell, the hard tank is vented through the soft sack to the side vent of the boat. First time I poured antifreeze into the vent I couldn't figure out why it wasn't making it to the hard tank (stuck in soft sack). Now when winterizing I remove the soft sacks, and pour antifreeze into the tube running from the hard tank to the soft sack. Then I pump it out of the hard tank.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
I plumbed mine the same as the Wake Makers diagram shows - minus the check valve on the bag vent. The benefit of that check valve is that, in theory, you will be able to suck your bag flat then the check valve above the hard tank allows air into the tank once the bag is sucked flat or in case the bag sucks in on itself, blocking the drain/vent through the bag. At a minimum, install a check valve above the hard tank.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 AM
TT Newbie

Wakemakers diagram is very useful. What’s the purpose of the check valve off the bag? Valve between hard tank and vent makes sense now in this configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 12:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Check valve above the bag prevents air from coming back into the bag when emptying - which allows the pump to collapse the bag and get more water out. Then the check valve above the tank opens to allow air in and prevent the pump from partially collapsing the tank, causing unnecessary stress and potential damage to both the tank and the pump.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:41 PM
TT Newbie

Got it. Thanks everyone! Will use the check valves with my install.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
What check valve is being used for the vent line that comes off the hard tank T? I've read a few threads and it seems like a spring loaded valve is used but I can find one on wakemakers site. Anyone have a similar setup?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:21 PM
MC Fanatic

It is a PVC spring loaded (1lb) check valve above the hard tank. I ordered mine from an online sprinkler supply house.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskiguy View Post
It is a PVC spring loaded (1lb) check valve above the hard tank. I ordered mine from an online sprinkler supply house.
Thank you for this.
I'm getting ready to plumb bags in our X2 and couldn't find that part on wakemakers either.
What makes it different than the check valve on the bag vent line?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN