Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1989
Lifting my 89 ps190 out of water with a crane using straps.

My original PS190 trailer is illegal on Norwegian roads because it has no brakes, my local marina's ramp is too steep and I can't get deep enough with the trailer, so instead of driving illegal from other marinas I'm considering lifting my boat out of water and onto the trailer using a crane and softslings at my local marina.

I see my boat has a "lifting eye" at the bow, is that meant for lifting the boat?? If so, how about the stern, no lifing eyes there? I'm thinking about running softslings under the boat both at the front and stern, I will have to dive under the boat to get the sling above the strut and axle of course. Is it safe without spreader bars if the slings are long??
Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190
My old 88 prostar was lifted on a boat lift using the forward eye and the two on the back of the boat for 7 years and it was never a problem. There were times that we had to lift the boat almost 12 feet above the water to compensate for rising water.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: X10
You should have a single ring in the bow and two on the transom for lifting the boat. You can use a spreader bar on the transom to lift the boat evenly, we do this all the time to put boats on blocks. I've never used two slings but it seems like it would be more work than a spreader bar since you are loading and unloading it on a trailer.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:04 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Here's a cool thread that is a rather extreme example of lifting a MasterCraft boat.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ad.php?t=14984
Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Aha, the two small U-formed i the rear, didn't think they would handle lifting. I will have to check all 3 for corrosion before I'll try that, the boat runs i salt water;-)
Old 09-25-2009, 05:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
You could also lift the trailer into the water using the trailer as a lift cradle. That way you would not need to worry about diving in to get the sling under the boat or the integrity of the lifting eyes. Just a last resort, I guess.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

I've been thinking about that, I'll have a look at the trailer if I can do that without damaging the fiberglass on the trailer.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkallestad View Post
My original PS190 trailer is illegal on Norwegian roads because it has no brakes, my local marina's ramp is too steep and I can't get deep enough with the trailer, so instead of driving illegal from other marinas I'm considering lifting my boat out of water and onto the trailer using a crane and softslings at my local marina.

I see my boat has a "lifting eye" at the bow, is that meant for lifting the boat?? If so, how about the stern, no lifing eyes there? I'm thinking about running softslings under the boat both at the front and stern, I will have to dive under the boat to get the sling above the strut and axle of course. Is it safe without spreader bars if the slings are long??
Anytime you lift a boat using straps under the hull and lift from overhead, you should use a spreader bar to keep the straps from pinching the hull and deck. Otherwise you can get stress cracks on the deck and on the hull in the area where the straps contact the rubrail.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ok, thanks. It will either be driving illegal or lift the whole trailer in the water, if I go for the trailer in the water solution I'll drill holes in the fiber glass above the trailer axle as close to the wheels as possible so that I can get the 2 rear straps at the axle at each side, the front strap will go as far forward as possible on the trailer(might touch the bow) wont be much weight on the forward strap. There will be pinching on the hull from the rear straps, but not as much, I'll see if i can use somethinh to avoid that;-)
Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Ever think of putting brakes on your trailer. I am not an expert but the parts should all be available.