Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
It would be fairly easy to pattern and sew for someone who is skilled. You'll want to use UV V92 polyester thread at the minimum. This thread is thicker than your normal home sewing thread and the cheap sewing machines can't handle the thread or the Sunbrella very well. If the machine is heavy duty and can handle something like denim you're in business. Overall $250 sounds pretty reasonable.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpass View Post
Would be nice to have bow cover, for that inadvertant rouge wave mid day…didn't like the idea of drilling: However I did find some snaps that used adhesive instead of screws, snaps came in white only…just an idea for someone...
I think it works against you with the rogue wave, a few people have posted examples of this. To date, I have not hit a wave with an empty bow that brought water over the top. I'm assuming these "rogue" waves were some pretty gnarly ballast induced surf swell.

I want it to keep people out of the bow area while moving on the water. The 197 I bought at the end of 2014 was the first boat I've purchased, and little did I know the havoc that ensues when you add 100 plus lbs to the bow of a 197 while underway. I want to close it off so that people aren't inclined to go up there, and I don't have to tell them not to go up there. A bow cover solves that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2230 View Post
It would be fairly easy to pattern and sew for someone who is skilled. You'll want to use UV V92 polyester thread at the minimum. This thread is thicker than your normal home sewing thread and the cheap sewing machines can't handle the thread or the Sunbrella very well. If the machine is heavy duty and can handle something like denim you're in business. Overall $250 sounds pretty reasonable.
$250 is starting to sound a lot better. Skilled I am not. Just purchased the cover, tonight was the last night until the price goes back up to $321 shipped.

Great input from everyone here, thank you all!

Last edited by paintpollz; 02-12-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Anyone done this? Mr. Marine is charging about 250 shipped for a 197 bow cover. You can get a 60"x36" long piece of sunbrella for about 20 shipped on ebay, the snaps and fastener tool for approx 20 shipped, a vent for $10 shipped, and then call it $10 for thread I guess, not sure what thread to use. I can use the vent pole from my other cover.

I have a grandmother than knows her way around a sewing machine. If this is a royal PITA to DIY, then I'll pony up the $250. But if this is a 2-3 hour job, I'd rather save the $190 bucks and make it myself.

Thanks.
What color bow cover are you looking for?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
What color bow cover are you looking for?
black
Old 02-13-2016, 05:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Not to hijack…but rouge wave…happens at idle and putzing around the lake, when bow is not on plain or wind comes across the lake and half to ride directly into waves, small at that in a no wake zone back to launch area..just a slight dip in the water, means water in the bow or hitting the windshield and up and over…should have a warning sticker from manufacture…for new owners. Maybe a bow cover with raised ridges to deflect water to side, instead of smooth that channels water over the windshield…NOW THERES AND IDEA TO SELL!
Old 02-13-2016, 11:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
I made one before. I think MC wanted like $400+ at the time, so I made one. Wasn't difficult at all, but needed an extra set of hands to help. Took me 3 hours or so by the time I measured 10xs, sewed edge seems, reinforced where the snaps would go, reinforced the pole area, etc. Sewing is not my specialty, clearly.

Worst part was drilling into a brand new boat to install the snaps. Takes a bit of nerve.

I used two drills: (1) with a countersink that I drilled in reverse to get through the gel, then (1) with the drill bit for the snaps. I used silicone under each screw, and snapped the cover on as I went to make sure it was tight. Wherever the cover snap landed on the boat, I drilled 1/2 snap width outside of that.

Next time...I found it on sale and just bought the cover, but still had to install the snaps.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpass View Post
Not to hijack…but rouge wave…happens at idle and putzing around the lake, when bow is not on plain or wind comes across the lake and half to ride directly into waves, small at that in a no wake zone back to launch area..just a slight dip in the water, means water in the bow or hitting the windshield and up and over…should have a warning sticker from manufacture…for new owners. Maybe a bow cover with raised ridges to deflect water to side, instead of smooth that channels water over the windshield…NOW THERES AND IDEA TO SELL!
Not sure I'm understanding. rogue waves at idle?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Probably on a big lake or at least a lake with big boats. They create a huge wave that can make it over the open bow of a small ski boat.

For instance if you go up near the dam at Lake of the Ozarks in a 20 footer, on a weekend, in the middle of summer, in the middle of the day, it's gonna get a scary.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I'm sure Aric will confirm.
My boat came with one.... Pass on making one lol.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten