Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 01:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC X30 2008
This might help with any left over residue from the decals. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-24-2018, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
congrats! looks like a solid start!

i just got done removing basically that same tribal x from the side of my 04 X9

use a heatgun or leave it in the sun - peel it back working a bit at a time and dont worry about how much glue is left over. keep some light heat on it while youre pulling to keep the sticker coming off in as many large pieces as possible.
plan for 45 min or so per side to peel the stickers depending on how much the vinyl fights you.

then spay some goof-off on the leftover grey glue, let it sit for a minute. use a plastic razor blade scraper to get the now soaked glue off - itll come off with almost no fight in big wrinkly sheets.

clean a few times until no residue is left... then polish with a random orbital and your favorite medium compound.

took me a couple nights after work to get ours done but its doable and rewarding to see those stickers gone! good luck and keep us posted (with pictures!! )

Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg123 View Post
Congrats on the new purchase. I picked up my 04 x30 almost 2 years ago. It has been a great family boat! Which motor does yours have?

Lots of great people on here to help out.
350 MCX. Heard lots of great things on here about it! 585 on the clock.

Last edited by wakesurf6786; 04-24-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
Read BrianM's thread on oxidation removal ... i think this is the most comprehensive three step process and i used it on my '93 ... it takes time but it works

I also pulled out the trailer on my '93 and put the bat on concrete blocks .... make it much easier to work on and be able to get verything

Decals come off ... slow ... acetone, heat gun, plastic outlet covers ... they will come off

Congrats and cant wait to see the progress

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...light=compound
Thanks, that’s a great thread, I actually saw it a while back and bought the Makita Polisher and the new 3M Compound and Finesse polish/wax. Any ideas what you’d wet sand with for scratches that won’t buff? I’m thinking 2000? I’ll post pics of the starboard side. There is some dockrash.

I called MC and got the gel color and ordered a patch kit from Spectrum. There are 3-4 areas that need filling. I’ll probably post more pics asking opinions on how best to tackle them after I compound and polish the gel.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck View Post
Congrats on the boat, I agree with Greg on the interior. I read through sodar's interior cleaning thread and ended up ordering some totally awesome cleaner and drill brushes off amazon and wow what a difference it made. Here is the link to the interior cleaning thread

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=66817
Thanks, Iíve seen this too but hadnít thought about a drill attachment brush! Great idea! Just ordered a soft and medium one from Amazon. I didnít want to buy another smaller polisher. Iíve got some Totally Awesome waiting in the wings after I get her maintenance up to date. I figure I want to have her out for a sea trial first. I bought it sight unseen with a survey and compression check only. Havenít had her out yet.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
Excellent choice! With a little elbow grease and some time, that boat will be shining like the diamond it is! Like yourself, I came from an I/O boat, but dreamed of getting an inboard for 12 years. Bought my MariStar (same hull as yours) 8 years ago and have not looked back. Great all around boat with lots of room for family and friends. Like others have already said, it may not have all the newest bling, but it still gets the job done well. Congrats! You'll love it!
Thanks! My son,9, said ďDad why did you want a 14 year old boat?Ē Well son, a new MC cost as much as a house . Until he asked what year it was he had no clue and thought it was awsome just to have a boat. They wonít care whatís slinging them in the tube or throwing a wake for the wakeboard! I know I wonít! I think itís going to be loads of fun. Weíve got three kids, 9,7 and 4. Looking forward to great family time
Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 PM
TT Regular

Couldnít resist I had to do something, I got out my wifeís hair dryer and removed the old dealer decal and the warning labels that were faded and long gone on the transom. This is what I hope it shines out to when I compound the Hull.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2018, 10:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
New to me 2004 X30!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesurf6786 View Post
Thanks! My son,9, said ďDad why did you want a 14 year old boat?Ē Well son, a new MC cost as much as a house . Until he asked what year it was he had no clue and thought it was awsome just to have a boat. They wonít care whatís slinging them in the tube or throwing a wake for the wakeboard! I know I wonít! I think itís going to be loads of fun. Weíve got three kids, 9,7 and 4. Looking forward to great family time

Yea, the kids will love it; it's a good way for a family to make memories together for sure. I've raised both of my kids on the boat. They love to ride the tube, and my 11 year old daughter water skis. My nearly 7 year old son was helping me peel the "MariStar" side stickers of our 225VRS last weekend. Going to go with the clean look. And despite the boat being nearly 20 years old now, she still turns heads!

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for

Tags
2004, restoration, restore, x30