Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-16-2015, 03:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Question Potentially Purchasing 1987 Prostar

I occasionally have driven by this 1987 Prostar sitting in a storage lot and noticed it hasnít moved in the past few years. I contacted the owner and asked if he would sell it. He is interested in selling it but I have no idea what to offer him for the boat. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures but here is what I know:

The current owner winterized and fogged the engine/carb five years ago; the boat has not run or moved since. It is stored outside under a tree with the plug out. The engine has very little rust on it. It has power slot/velvet drive transmission. Prop is in good shape. The oil and tranny fluid do not have any water in them. The gas tank is full.

The boat was initially covered but the cover has disintegrated over the years and now it is mostly uncovered. The hull seems to be in good condition but the gel coat needs to be restored. The gauges all seem to be in good shape. The carpet will need to be replace along with all the seats/vinyl.

I would love to bring this boat back to life but I have no idea what to offer for it. Based on this description what should I offer him for the boat and original trailer?
Old 07-16-2015, 03:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X2, 1988 Prostar 190 (Sold)
I'd start off around $2500 (or less)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
power slot=1:1.5, velvet drive=1:1 It can't have both! Engine is a big unknown. If he can not get it running to your satisfaction, you are probably in the $1500-$2000 range. Depending on how much work you an do yourself, carpet and upholstry will run as high as $2000. The trailer will need some work - anticipate another $500 for this (brakes, hubs, new wiring, new lights) and you will also need to buy new tires. Cleaning and buffing the hull is mostly just elbow grease, but if you do not have a good orbital buffer, add another $100 plus supplies probably another $100.
So, best case scenerio, you get boat for $1500 and put $2700 into it to get it looking good and you are on the water for only $4200 in boat worth about $6000. Worst case, you have to replace the motor and maybe rebuild the tranny adding another $2000 putting you at the brake even point.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
I was going to start around $2000, but none of us have seen the boat, so this is all speculation really. You could start at $500, I mean how much has storage been running him all these years?

Just thinking out loud here...

The gas is trash.
The battery is gone.
The carb will likely need a rebuild.
Complete tune up.
All fluids and filters will need changed (maybe twice).
Completely new interior.
Completely new carpet.
The gauges/switches will likely be hit and miss.
Hoses, shaft seal, and other rubber things could be problematic.
Exterior will likely require wet sanding, or at least extreme buffing.
Trailer will likely need some loving.
I would inspect for rodents, and if you find evidence of them I would run for the hills unless you enjoy electrical work.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 Limited 351 Power slot
Send a message via Yahoo to 1990lmtd
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
power slot=1:1.5, velvet drive=1:1 It can't have both! Engine is a big unknown. If he can not get it running to your satisfaction, you are probably in the $1500-$2000 range. Depending on how much work you an do yourself, carpet and upholstry will run as high as $2000. The trailer will need some work - anticipate another $500 for this (brakes, hubs, new wiring, new lights) and you will also need to buy new tires. Cleaning and buffing the hull is mostly just elbow grease, but if you do not have a good orbital buffer, add another $100 plus supplies probably another $100.
So, best case scenerio, you get boat for $1500 and put $2700 into it to get it looking good and you are on the water for only $4200 in boat worth about $6000. Worst case, you have to replace the motor and maybe rebuild the tranny adding another $2000 putting you at the brake even point.

Velvet drive, 1.5:1 ratio.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990lmtd View Post

Velvet drive, 1.5:1 ratio.
Well, dang! I'm just full of it then!!
Old 07-16-2015, 06:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
Well, dang! I'm just full of it then!!
I'll admit I didn't know that existed either.

Tags
buying, costs, prostar 190, restoration, winterization