Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-20-2018, 01:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
suggest a board..

So i have been having a real hard time with my 2006 X2 getting it to surf. I bought more ballast, bobv5 shaper etc....

so the question is, i am looking for a board that can make better use of the wake that i do have. Right now we have a hyperlite broadcast. Is there a board that anyone could suggest that does well with a smaller wake?

I also have an inland surfer Tako, the hyperlite seems to get a tad more from the wave. I am about 200 lbs if that helps determine a board.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
I mentioned this on someone else's similar question - the board matters as much if not more than the wave...blasphemy , right?

I am 205 if I suck it in and have an 07 x2. We load up ballast in all three stock tanks, put on a bobv5 and ask anyone on board to then sit on the port side (almost everyone that has surfed behind my boat is regular). I have two boards, one sits in my shed on land and one that everyone uses including me. It is a Ronix thruster, 5'2" I believe, maybe 5'0", not exactly sure.

Anyway, my first board, all others had push and all seemed ok except for me. I am the heaviest to surf behind my boat, by more than 30 lbs. The first boat was a koal fish , similar height but I could never get off the rope.

The Ronix board, no other variables changing, seems to want to run more and I can give up the rope. Keep in mind this is a secondary activity for us, we end up surfing a third of the days we go out. But having a board that I can progress on without dedicating all kinds of time to is great for me, great find.

Try different boards, your 06 X2 can produce enough push for you. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
We tried the Broadcast last year for one day and returned it. It felt incredibly slow. I can appreciate you wanting another board. I am not a wealth of knowledge when it comes to wakesurf board, so keep that in mind, but our family enjoys the Obrien Nalu skim board. It is easy to let go of rope on our Maristar 210 with suckgate and ballasts. I am working on a 360 but it is going to be while. It's me, not the board.

I do have a 2017 Bylery Buzz for sale that has been used only a few times. Not trying to steer you toward buying it but comparing it to the Broadcast, it is significantly faster and more adaptable for various skill levels.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
would like to find a hyperlite Idylwood if anyone has one they want to sell.

just out of curiousity, what would you be asking for the Bev? i don't know much about them, but trying to find a faster board.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
would like to find a hyperlite Idylwood if anyone has one they want to sell.

just out of curiousity, what would you be asking for the Bev? i don't know much about them, but trying to find a faster board.

Pm sent
Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 XT23
When we were surfing an 07 x2 for a couple of years I bought a 53” phase 5 model x and that board was great for that wave. I would think the 58” model x would be about the right size for 185 pounds and up. My brother in law is about 215-220 and he just got a phase 5 Daniello in the 58” and he loves that board, says he has plenty of speed out of it on that x2 wave now. Nice thing about the 18 model daniello is that it’s not just a skim board, you can place the fins in a 3 fin, 2 fin or single fin config. Makes it a more versatile board now.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:26 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 06 Maristar 200VRS
I have an 06 and in order to get a decent wave I have 1200# Port side rear, 800# Starboard side rear and use a Slingshot Gnarwhal. I wasn't able to go ropeless with a lot of other boards but the Gnarwhal was it!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
I have a Ronix Parks Thruster with the gimmicky LEDs that no longer work (pictured below).

Does anybody know if this is considered a fast board or not?

It's my only wake surf board and I haven't compared it to anything else. I'm pretty new at the wake surfing thing.

Name:  Ronix board.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  17.9 KB
Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I have a Ronix Parks Thruster with the gimmicky LEDs that no longer work.

Does anybody know if this is considered a fast board or not?

It's my only wake surf board and I haven't compared it to anything else. I'm pretty new at the wake surfing thing.
I don't have the LEDs but my Ronix board I mention above is a Parks Thruster. Compared to my only other surf board it is much faster but that doesn't necessarily mean it is fast. I like it.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
So i have been having a real hard time with my 2006 X2 getting it to surf. I bought more ballast, bobv5 shaper etc....

so the question is, i am looking for a board that can make better use of the wake that i do have. Right now we have a hyperlite broadcast. Is there a board that anyone could suggest that does well with a smaller wake?

I also have an inland surfer Tako, the hyperlite seems to get a tad more from the wave. I am about 200 lbs if that helps determine a board.
Where in Wisconsin are you? We're building boards out of the Madison area and would be happy to lend you a couple boards to demo. If you're up north, we have some guys up there riding our boards that could get you one as well.