Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-03-2018, 08:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 prostar 205 LT1
94 prostar 205 with lt1

my lt1 starts and runs fine, pull skiers/tubers without an issue. BUT... I shut it off let it sit for a few hours and it won't stay running upon starting. It will start but only idle for 5 seconds or so. If I put it in reverse to pull out of hoist, it stalls immediately.
I believe it has to be a fuel delivery issue. It has done this two days in a row. I pulled the line off the filter after the fuel pump before the injectors and there is fuel there. The pump is warm/hot after sitting. Immediately after running for 30 minutes or longer the pump isn't hot, but after sitting it is hot. I know this is a NO - NO, but yesterday in my frenzy to get back on the water. I sprayed starting fluid into the air intake and it would run and stay running if I would continue to give it a shot of ether. So I am thinking definitely a fuel issue.

My plan of attack is to replace the fuel filter at the tank and between the fuel pump and injectors. and see if the problem happens again. If it does, i'll look into a fuel pump.

Unless anyone can give me a better plan.

thanks
Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Check your fuel pressure before throwing a new fuel pump at it. You can buy the tool or borrow one from an auto parts store. Then you will know you need a new fuel pump.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 PM
TT Regular

Thanks, can i find direction for checking the fuel pressure in the forum somewhere or on you tube?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:55 PM
MC Devotee

There is a Schraeder valve on the back of the fuel rail where the gauge attaches. If you can test at a variety of RPMs on the water, your results will tell you the most. 4,000 RPM on the water takes more fuel than 4,000 RPM in neutral.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205
Had a very similar issue to yours on my 94 prostar with TBI. I had a fuel pump that was flaking out. It wouldn't pump properly when it got hot and sat a while. I replaced it with a carter p5000 or p5001 (can never remember the proper number-but it was a direct refit minus a vapor return that needed to be capped) Took 10 minutes and boat runs like a top ever since. I had 10 psi fuel pressure with the old pump, until it got hot. Then the pressure was very low. Best 80 bucks I've spent yet.
On my TBI I had to buy a schraeder valve adapter in order to actually see the fuel pressure. I put it on the inlet of the silver fuel filter. Maybe your LT-1 actually has a schraeder in it already.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:57 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi_the_heeler View Post
Maybe your LT-1 actually has a schraeder in it already.
It does, on the back of the fuel rail.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 PM
TT Regular

Thank you. I'll find a pressure tester and give it a go. Where did you find your carter 5000/5001? Seems easy enough.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:54 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Napa or any auto parts even amazon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseebeck View Post
my lt1 starts and runs fine, pull skiers/tubers without an issue. BUT... I shut it off let it sit for a few hours and it won't stay running upon starting. It will start but only idle for 5 seconds or so. If I put it in reverse to pull out of hoist, it stalls immediately.
I believe it has to be a fuel delivery issue. It has done this two days in a row. I pulled the line off the filter after the fuel pump before the injectors and there is fuel there. The pump is warm/hot after sitting. Immediately after running for 30 minutes or longer the pump isn't hot, but after sitting it is hot. I know this is a NO - NO, but yesterday in my frenzy to get back on the water. I sprayed starting fluid into the air intake and it would run and stay running if I would continue to give it a shot of ether. So I am thinking definitely a fuel issue.

My plan of attack is to replace the fuel filter at the tank and between the fuel pump and injectors. and see if the problem happens again. If it does, i'll look into a fuel pump.

Unless anyone can give me a better plan.

thanks
After waiting, turn the key to ON, but don't crank it. Once it has primed, turn it to OFF and wait about 5 seconds before cranking. If it starts and runs normally, the pump may be getting tired, or the heat could be causing this. You can also try to avoid it by running the blower or propping the engine cover open while the boat sits.

Does it do this all year, or just when it's hot?
Old 09-05-2018, 05:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Napa or any auto parts even amazon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Got mine at NAPA.
Much thanks to MikeG for leading the way on this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk