Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-16-2018, 11:16 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 MasterCraft X30
Circuit Breaker

New boat to me but an Ď03 X30. Just now seeing some issues including this breaker, it looks nasty but itís also on the floor mounted on carpet that likes to get wet. Is this something I should replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 11:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Absolutely, and both ring terminals. Might end up having to replace the cables. As you cut back to find good clean copper, you could end up with too short of cables.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:19 PM
TT Newbie

Iíve got a temp gauge that only works sometimes, think this might be the culprit?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:25 PM
MC Devotee

Hard to say. if that breaker feeds the helm BUS, any of the gauges could act up, not just one.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:15 PM
TT Newbie

Are most of those breakers mounted in the floor? Seems like it should be on a vertical surface. Also question on the batteries, is your battery box sitting directly on the carpet? Seems like the should have air under them so they donít stay wet with water.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 PM
MC Devotee

No worries about a plastic battery box/tray sitting on carpet. breaker, yeah, it could stand to be off the floor.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Yeah that breaker and probably the cable ends are toast. Time to replace. If you're seeing that in one location it would probably be a good idea to go through clean and do a "nut and bolt" on both the positive and ground circuits.

As to the gauge.... possibly however the gauges in boats from the period your boat was manufactured were known for issues. Do a couple searches on gauges and gauge replacement for some leisurely reading.

Lastly, until fairly recently the wiring in many of these boats was less than desired. The new boats have impressive, complete battery/circuit breaker panels while older boats were pretty much a crap shoot as to how well they were done. I basically created a switch/breaker panel for mine during my first stereo upgrade. Lost of room for improvement on the older boats.