Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-05-2018, 08:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1983 S&S 454
1983 S&S "Maybe" Resto

A family friend had this '83 MasterCraft with a 454 and a Powerslot sitting at their lake house and they offered to make it my yard ornament instead, so one day I came home and it was in my driveway. I wasn't looking for a project and I've never skied before, so I'm calling it the "maybe" resto because I haven't decided if I want to go the distance with it (kinda thinking about parting her out, maybe).

Looks a little rougher at my house than I remember from seeing it at the lake. Pretty dirty from sitting in the elements. Tires are toast and the fenders need some fiberglass.

I think the swim deck is missing the outermost piece of teak?

Vinyl is only a few years old, but has sat outside the whole time. No tears, but not sure if it'll clean up:

No backseat; carpet has got to go:

Not sure if the motor is original, but it has definitely been out of the boat. Somebody put a Moroso deep pan on it as well as an Edelbrock intake and Holley carb. The carb, starter, and alternator are auto parts so they'll have to be replaced with marine stuff:
Old 05-05-2018, 08:24 PM
TT Newbie

I figure while I make up my mind on what to do with it, I might as well get to work. First I compunded/polished/waxed a test spot to see if the gelcoat would shine up any and turned out ok:

After that I washed the dirt off, peeled off all the old vinyl with the help of a heat gun and went to town with the heavy compound and marine polish. I started on the starboard side; the part of the hull under the bow turned out great since it's protected by the sun. The originally silver glitter still has a little gold-tint to it but its not too bad though you can still see where the decals were. The rest of the side isn't nearly as glossy; might have to try wet sanding before I go any further. The gunwhales and top of the bow took a beating from the sun over 35 years and will need extra work regardless.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '96 PS190 LT1
I love it! Really cool boat. Hope you get her back on the water. Something about those old boats really does it for me. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2018, 12:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
You need to bring this one all the way back. It's a beaut! Plus, then you can learn how to ski. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
1983 S&S "Maybe" Resto

Trailer looks like 92-97 ish or so. Nice project, cool colors.
Someone will know if they are wood by the hull MFG date, but you need to check the stringers.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:47 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Trailer looks like 92-97 ish or so. Nice project, cool colors.
Someone will know if they are wood by the hull MFG date, but you need to check the stringers.
Thanks, I knew the trailer was newer but wasn't sure an exact range, not sure if its worth trying to fix the fender or find a replacement.

Boat is all 'glass.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
.........Boat is all 'glass.
Myth.

Your transom is wood reinforced.

A guy with an 83 called me this week about what to do with a rotted transom. He discovered the decay when he looked at the cross-section of the cut-out for the exhaust ports before reinstalling the exhaust system.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-06-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:33 PM
TT Newbie

Well I guess I'll have to eat some crow. I am correct in saying this boat has fiberglass stringers though, correct? I've been operating under that assumption based on this thread since it has the angle iron motor/transmission mounts.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
Well I guess I'll have to eat some crow. I am correct in saying this boat has fiberglass stringers though, correct? I've been operating under that assumption based on this thread since it has the angle iron motor/transmission mounts.
No crow required.

I was just pointing out an often overlooked aspect. Just a word of hands-on experience.

Stringers are all in the way you look at them. I see them as foam-filled composite floor supports, thus not a wooden stringer as were in earlier boats.

You got a good boat to work with there. Make it shine, vacuum the carpet, and make your Mama proud! Nothing like refurbishing an old boat.

That one will clean up very nicely. Take lots of photographs with a decent camera.

Get you a carb from thatsmrmsatercraft here on this forum. Alternator from DB Electrical (dot com), and shop around for an Arco high-torque starter (Amazon maybe).

The swim deck will clean up easily and you can get a single stick to fix the missing part from Teak World.

The fender can easily be repaired as a DIY.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-06-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
There is so much potential, you have to bring it back. Hopefully starting with polishing the gel will nudge you in that direction.