Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-03-2018, 05:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post

Yup, same registration number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2018, 06:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
You have to love the comment in the original ad from 8/18:

Quote:
Everything works and functions properly.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, skier, 1981, 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtajpa View Post
Definitely a labor of love. I so enjoyed my restoration project and still just looking for something to improve over the winter.
I'm most motivated by a potential failure on the water far from home with my family aboard. Especially the young kids. A breakdown with a 2 year old and 6 month old would seriously ruin an otherwise good day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbismyname View Post
Yup, same registration number
Keen eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
You have to love the comment in the original ad from 8/18:
Quote:
Everything works and functions properly.
Yeah, that one has given us a good laugh a few times as we dig deeper and resolve issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
You're a lot nicer than I would have been about the PO's truthfulness regarding the condition of the boat. From what I can see he knew the boat was beat up and the systems that were not working, like knowing to have that jump box with him. It's all good as long as the condition was reflected in the selling price.
I've done this enough times (with cars), that it's something I'm prepared for. The seller made the point that, in the spring, this would sell for asking without issue and he's likely right. It went for $18k (not a sufficient discount for the problems found imo) and will likely consume $3-4k to bring it up to excellent mechanical condition. I'm hoping to use this one while raising my kids and get 10+ years out of it, so I'm willing to put in the effort up front to get it right for it's first season on the water.

Overall I think this is a relatively normal experience and a less diligent and less experienced purchaser wouldn't yet be aware of the issues. My suspicion is that this boat would enter maintenance / repair limbo where it either soaked a massive sum of money to get fully sorted, failed regularly, or was simply parked and ended it's effective service life.

Onto more work, replacing the Bow scratcher / Highway Boat Dropper Winch & lock setup which had failed. The winch came unlatched if you breathed on it and the locking pin was damaged and bent. Further, this setup scratched the bow on each use:

The roller setup with new Fulton 1600lb winch and a chain lock:

Old 11-04-2018, 01:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, skier, 1981, 351
A question, anyone know why this little arm slicer was installed? It doesn't appear stock and was only on the port side.

Are nerf ball support / "damper" systems common for ballast installs? The lower half the the ball is painted black but the upper half remains toy green.