Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-Star 350 tbi predator
Zf hurth water in fluid clogged vent?

Gentlemen, I'm getting water in my trans fluid in my 01 x star 205v with the Zf hurth 63iv 1=1.56 ratio. Pulled the trans and had seals replaced after seal failure last summer. Checked fluid again and had water in it. There's a Possibility that I had high water in the bilge while heavily weighed and surfing last weekend. That being said, I've read there is a breather on top of my trans and I'm thinking mine must be non operational as every time I remove the dip stick the trans sucks air as to relieve the internal pressure. Would the non operational breather cause the trans to suck in bilge water more than normal? Don't think I have a trans cooler issue.Doing the whole flush now and thinking of replacing the breather as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Tired of the zf hurth hell as I understand this is a common problem on this boat.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
the most likely culprit is the trans cooler... the breather cap should be just lose.. to let overflow out..
Old 05-18-2016, 11:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ...
the breather is pretty high, to swamp that would take some doing and you should be looking into the condition of your starter and alternator which are just as low if not lower in the bilge. The breather is not really a breather as such, more a one direction valve so its fine that you hear hissing when removing the dip stick.
I agree with Mike, get the trans cooler tested, it could have a leak. Alternatively if there was water above the output shaft on the trans seal, then it could have taken water in, highly likely as these seals are designed to actively move oil back into the trans so if there was water above the seal, then it could works its way in also.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 AM
TT Newbie

If the trans cooler is letting the water in, would I see a drop in the coolant level of the engine coolant? My boat has the closed cooling system with the heat exchanger. The coolant level hadn't dropped any significant amount is why I ask. Or, is the water that cools the trans fluid from the raw water? Either way I've got to do a better job of keeping the bilge going while playing around.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
I'm pretty sure the trans cooler is raw water cooled. It should be in-line with the raw water intake hose.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbrazell View Post
If the trans cooler is letting the water in, would I see a drop in the coolant level of the engine coolant? My boat has the closed cooling system with the heat exchanger. The coolant level hadn't dropped any significant amount is why I ask. Or, is the water that cools the trans fluid from the raw water? Either way I've got to do a better job of keeping the bilge going while playing around.
no you would not.. as mentioned above - trans cooled by raw water.. cooling housing copper to not sooo reactive with sea water.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM
TT Newbie

Ok I'll start at the trans cooler then. Thank you gentlemen for your help. I'll post back with my findings once I get it removed and tested. Skidim is right down the road from me so may just replace as precautionary anyways.

Tags
205v, v drive, zf hurth