Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2004, 350
I have tried it all on my ballast if someone could tell me something

I have taken my boat into the dealer, they replaced the impellers and one pump. I got it back and still problems. It filled, which was an improvement, but now they won't empty. Has anyone ever had anything stuck in the lines or anywhere else. The check valves are not cracked. My batteries are new. Please, I just want to fill and then empty my tanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 XSTAR
Sender unit for the fuel tank is a simple swap. Simply take the old one out and drop the new one in. I think it's only 6 or 8 bolts. Should take 5 to 10 min to do.

When I replaced mine it didn't work right away. I was told to fill the tank all the way full and that may help it register. Filled my tank and it's worked like a champ since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
good news....swapped in new batteries and bam! all 3 tanks are pumping water like champs! i guess the voltage was too low for the pumps to run properly, ill have to check out the sender unit issue as my gas gauge is off and on. Is the sender unit replacement pretty easy to do on your own?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 XSTAR
All the tanks won't empty? Not sure what is going on there. My KGB wouldn't empty awhile back. Problem ended up being one of the relays being bad (I think they are 25amp). Anyway...they are in the rear locker, remove the black cover on the ballast box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I have taken my boat into the dealer, they replaced the impellers and one pump. I got it back and still problems. It filled, which was an improvement, but now they won't empty. Has anyone ever had anything stuck in the lines or anywhere else. The check valves are not cracked. My batteries are new. Please, I just want to fill and then empty my tanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
Ballast sending units can be calibrated easily. Fill all three ballast tanks, adjust the "full" calibration screw at the top of each tank. Now empty all the ballast tanks and adjust the "empty" calibration screw at the top of each tank. I've done this a few times but they still don't always read correctly. I just watch the water empty out until it's done.

This weekend I'm changing one of my impellers to the new green impeller. Hope it's an improvement over the black or yellow ones.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
We run three green impellers and they are money. Pumps don't get stuck like with black ones, and do not siphen as with the yellow ones.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft
anyone know where the calibration screws are for the ballast tanks?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-STAR, 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnGA View Post
anyone know where the calibration screws are for the ballast tanks?
I know this is an old thread but also would like to know how to calibrate the ballast gauges.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-Star, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarstar View Post
I know this is an old thread but also would like to know how to calibrate the ballast gauges.

There were 2 brass colored set screws on the top of original sending units for our boat. I also have an 04 star. With tanks completely empty turn “empty set screw until The Gauge reads empty. By this I mean turn it until it reads above empty and back it down until it hits the empty line. Right is plus. Left is minus. Fill tanks and do the same process but for full. I have a just of mine a couple of times and this season when I adjusted the set screws all fell apart and wouldn’t turn. they actually kind of disintegrated due to corrosion I think. I ended up purchasing three new sending unit from Mastercraft parts depot and they are a re-designed unit with no set screws. they are also pre-calibrated!they were completely plug and play and my gauges are accurate. The reason our gauges fail so often is because the sending unit sale usually due to water intrusion at the set screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUSH36 View Post
There were 2 brass colored set screws on the top of original sending units for our boat. I also have an 04 star. With tanks completely empty turn “empty set screw until The Gauge reads empty. By this I mean turn it until it reads above empty and back it down until it hits the empty line. Right is plus. Left is minus. Fill tanks and do the same process but for full. I have a just of mine a couple of times and this season when I adjusted the set screws all fell apart and wouldn’t turn. they actually kind of disintegrated due to corrosion I think. I ended up purchasing three new sending unit from Mastercraft parts depot and they are a re-designed unit with no set screws. they are also pre-calibrated!they were completely plug and play and my gauges are accurate. The reason our gauges fail so often is because the sending unit sale usually due to water intrusion at the set screws.

Excellent, thanks for sharing this!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-Star, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Excellent, thanks for sharing this!

Forgot to stress you must start empty and adjust empty first then fill and adjust full range.