Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Few things to mention. First, don't look for a "beginner board." Most of the time you can make an advanced board a beginner board by using the center fins-you are just making it track better. Most advanced riders then remove the center fins once they progress. You could make the argument that a 3-stage is too agressive for a beginner, but I don't agree with that. Most people I know learned on and ride a 3-stage because of the way 3-stages pop off the wake. Another thing to keep in mind is that you really won't know which board is right for you until your skill level improves, so it makes choosing a board now a bit of a guessing game, plus there are fewer shops doing demos any more. There are a few boards that will be terrible for you now, and whole bunch that will probably all feel the same and a few that will be right for you a year from now. So, I think the best thing to look at is other's experiences on different boards and general characteristics.

Personally, here is what I would look for: 3-stage or blended rocker (basically a mild 3-stage) and most importanly look for a variable edge, which means the edge is more rounded in the middle than at the tips which reduces edge catches.

Of the boards I have ridden, here is my feedback on a couple I know very well, both Liquid Force. The Witness is a good consistent board, blended rocker. I rode this for about a year. I now ride and really like the Watson Classic. Its very popular board that is also very consistent but a bit more agressive off the wake and a bit looser on the water without fins. There are times that there are four Watson's on my boat.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcjr View Post
Few things to mention. First, don't look for a "beginner board." Most of the time you can make an advanced board a beginner board by using the center fins-you are just making it track better. Most advanced riders then remove the center fins once they progress. You could make the argument that a 3-stage is too agressive for a beginner, but I don't agree with that. Most people I know learned on and ride a 3-stage because of the way 3-stages pop off the wake. Another thing to keep in mind is that you really won't know which board is right for you until your skill level improves, so it makes choosing a board now a bit of a guessing game, plus there are fewer shops doing demos any more. There are a few boards that will be terrible for you now, and whole bunch that will probably all feel the same and a few that will be right for you a year from now. So, I think the best thing to look at is other's experiences on different boards and general characteristics.

Personally, here is what I would look for: 3-stage or blended rocker (basically a mild 3-stage) and most importanly look for a variable edge, which means the edge is more rounded in the middle than at the tips which reduces edge catches.

Of the boards I have ridden, here is my feedback on a couple I know very well, both Liquid Force. The Witness is a good consistent board, blended rocker. I rode this for about a year. I now ride and really like the Watson Classic. Its very popular board that is also very consistent but a bit more agressive off the wake and a bit looser on the water without fins. There are times that there are four Watson's on my boat.
nice explanation....
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX - Sold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -V- View Post
I would love to try out a board...at the same time i would HATE to suck so bad that i get laughed at the whole time. Its funny you mention faceplant while approaching the wake, thats exactly what I did when i broke my old bindings. I guess what i am going to have to do is wait untill i get to california and find a pro shop with test boards..........i just want to find the right board for me. I am not trying to do serious flips or anything, just some decent tricks over the wake.
What part of California are you moving to?

Contact some shops and see if there are any reps having demo days. That is a great way to try various boards.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcjr View Post

I have a Witness and I like it alot. I have yet to take the fins off but plan on doing so this up coming season. My son has a Byerely Assult. He get really good pop using that board. I tried it once and it felt way too loose (he has the center fins off) on landings. My local shop will rent various, but not all boards, and then applies the rental fees to the purchase price.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
Thanks everyone for the responses. According to my CSM, I am going to Tracy CA to work out at the Depot there, BUT I am trying to get back to San Antonio instead and work out at the new Joint Base San Antonio Medical Center, the old BAMC. So as of right now I am going to Tracy.

Right now I have a board that still works, Its a hyperlite but I forgot what model it was, actually I never knew what model it was, I got it with the boat. I did buy a "starter" board to ride. It was a Hydroslide, I picked it up for $100 out in Austin. I started with that for about 3 months then moved the bindings to the hyperlite. about 6 months ago I caught the edge of the wake going in for a wake to wake jump and split the bindings apart from the base. About a week ago I bought a set of Hyperlite Focus bindings at the boat shoe here in Cleveland for a real good price.

I need to find out what board I have now (its in storage about an hour south) and see if I need a better board or not. The original bindings on the board I found were the 2001 Hyperlite 3060's, but the board could be newer. And I am pretty sure that board is too small for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Quote:
I guess I fall in the 144 category........6'2" about 220...........as far as rocker and everything else on the board, what should I be leaning towards......
my 2 cents,

I'm 6' 250lbs and ride a 2010 Vault 144 w/ Ronix Divide boots. I bought it as a package w/ boots, new in 2010 for $399.00 at a M2 Sports in Houston.

I would consider myself an beginner and I really like the board. I have some buddys that are intermediate riders and they ride my board w/ the fins removed a love it.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. According to my CSM, I am going to Tracy CA to work out at the Depot there, BUT I am trying to get back to San Antonio instead and work out at the new Joint Base San Antonio Medical Center, the old BAMC. So as of right now I am going to Tracy.

Right now I have a board that still works, Its a hyperlite but I forgot what model it was, actually I never knew what model it was, I got it with the boat. I did buy a "starter" board to ride. It was a Hydroslide, I picked it up for $100 out in Austin. I started with that for about 3 months then moved the bindings to the hyperlite. about 6 months ago I caught the edge of the wake going in for a wake to wake jump and split the bindings apart from the base. About a week ago I bought a set of Hyperlite Focus bindings at the boat shoe here in Cleveland for a real good price.

I need to find out what board I have now (its in storage about an hour south) and see if I need a better board or not. The original bindings on the board I found were the 2001 Hyperlite 3060's, but the board could be newer. And I am pretty sure that board is too small for me.
Tracy is about 45 minutes from me and the board shop I referenced in a prior email. Maybe we can hook up if/when you get out in this area. You would be central to a few lakes and the Delta for riding. My Witness is 144 and you would be welcome to try it.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Tracy is about 45 minutes from me and the board shop I referenced in a prior email. Maybe we can hook up if/when you get out in this area. You would be central to a few lakes and the Delta for riding. My Witness is 144 and you would be welcome to try it.
GoneBoatN/nmcjr - Just bought a Witness 144 ('11 model). Being shipped this week. What bindings have you guys used with this board? I saw a good deal on the LF Ultra's but am just starting my shopping.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 AM
MC Maniac

Ronix Cell. 2010 model. I've been happy with them.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
Quote:
I already got a pair of binding when i was at the Cleveland Boat Show, got a heck of a deal on a pair, but now it is time for a board that is for me.
Did you get the bindings from the guys from Lake Milton? They were blowing them out, I bought 3 pair.