Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2011, 02:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X star PWT
Ideas on a tower lifter?

I have an 07 PWT XStar with full lights and 4 tower speakers. I am looking at a new storage garage where I have to lower my tower to get in. I injured my back wakeboarding 3 years ago and don't want to risk hurting it again taking my tower up and down. Any ideas on a tower lift mechanism to help me? I can do it but it is quite heavy.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
I use an couple of pulleys and rope in my garage. I have to lower my tower to get it into the garage and I can't raise it all the way when it is in there. It works pretty good and having it raised is nice if I have to do some work when it is in the garage.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM
MC Devotee

Cleaver idea. My problem is I have to do it outside.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
You could get an aluminium pole and put a pully on the top. Then when you need to lift or lower the tower place the pole in the boat like a mast with riggings. The pole needs to be taller than the tower. I would also wrap the bottom of the pole with carpet to protect the boat, and it will give some friction to keep the base from sliding. For the rigging (block and tackel) you will want a pulley at the top of the mast, and one that attaches to the tower to reduce the force required to raise/lower the tower by half. I would use a webbing strap with a quick release buckle to go around the top of the tower. Using aluminum for the pole keeps things lite so you can move it easily without more back problems.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
You could put a power tower :idunno:

MONKEY FACE
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star (current) 1994 PS190, 1990 TriStar
I have an '02 and bringing the tower over the top to make a smooth landing is a two person job to do it right. If you can trailer to the lake with the tower down, get your ski partner to help. I have enlisted my 14YO for all such duties, the problem with that plan is that it takes a long time to train them and then they leave.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
If there is no tree etc. nearby where you can rig up a pulley, maybe you could mount one on a pole, and slide the pole over the ski pylon, similar to how people put up stripper poles.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcjr View Post
If there is no tree etc. nearby where you can rig up a pulley, maybe you could mount one on a pole, and slide the pole over the ski pylon, similar to how people put up stripper poles.
Except the tower passes over the ski pylon to lay down on the back sundeck. WIll the back half of the tower fold forward without messing anything up? Then the pole over the ski pylon would be an option.
Not an easy solution that I can think of. Easy to get it up/down in the garage when you can hook up to the ceiling joists.
SUrely you're not the only one riding when you go to the lake. What about having your buddies/family/whoever help lower it before driving it home (unless it's a real long drive).
Bungee the front legs down with a good pad/boot under them and lower the back half onto the sundeck and tie it down too so it doesn't bounce. Only problem there is it "denting" the foam in the sundeck for a longer period of time.
Fab some quick disconnects for the tower speakers so you can remove them, then the tower isn't heavy?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks for the recommendations. I normally have help from our riders. The problem is on Sunday evenings when we are packing up and going home. I want to make sure I have a solution when everyone bails on me

I do have a deck above the entry to my garage door. I looked online and found a bunch of very inexpensive pulleys or even an electric winch. I thought I could rig up a mounting harness on the deck so that I could just throw a pulley or hoist on it each time, put up a sling and bring it down. Everyone seems to indicate a pulley would work best and it is cheap!

I originally thought there might be a retracting post with a hook of some sort that I could hook up and simply let it lower slowly - like a small hydraulic ram. I have not found such a thing and know your recommendation will do the job perfectly.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
What sort of lifting causes back pain? Would it be possible to just use a long pole to push the tower up? Get something long enough that you can prop it against the crossbar of the tower, then just push it up. If you get something the right length, you could probably use it to support the weight of the tower while you're pulling the release pins, then just use the pole to lower the tower.
G