Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Was 2007 X1 - now looking
From their website "Prescription swimming goggles are great around the pool or if you are doing any ocean swimming activities. They make water play a lot more enjoyable and safe. Sailing, windsurfing, water skiing and other activities are enjoyed without fear of losing contacts or glasses."

Not sure about your perscription though....

http://www.aquagoggles.com/
Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
^^Naww, won't work. The contact is part of the fix of the problem, ie the eye doesn't work properly unless it has a hard lens up against it. I am interested in exploring the raquetball goggle fix though. I swim with regular goggles on (and contact in place), but I don't think those would work for waterskiing -- not enough field of view peripherally.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
As far as I know, no surgery available for my problem (karytoconus edit: keratoconus, you'd think I could spell it after having it for 16 years lol). My insurance will only buy 2 lenses per year (they cost about 400 each). If I was a really good skier already, I probably wouldn't worry as much (b/c I wouldn't fall as much hehe), but I'm definitely going to be on the steep part of the learning curve at first and I foresee eating a big facefull of water from time to time.

Just so you know where my skill level is, I've been up on doubles a few times behind a few different boats (one of them was a late 80s PS190, which was by far the easiest to get up behind) but the only time I tried a single I just couldn't get out of the water with it. So I've got a lot to learn lol, and I don't know enough to know the risk of losing the contact.
Have you talked with your ophthalmologist about PRK or a corneal transplant for your keratoconus?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
There's also something like these: http://www.seaspecs.com/

Back when lenses didn't fit as well as they do now I used to wear something similar for jetskiing. I just used a piece of string to attach it to my vest in case they fell off.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '95 BF200 Yamaha ProV 200, '94 PS190 LT1 1:1
I have ski'd, footed, wakeboarded, etc. with contacts for over 18 years and only have lost one, well it really just ripped but I had to chuck it.

I have daily disposables for the summer or ski months and monthly contacts for the off months.

My suggestion, check the internet...you can most likely find them cheaper than the $400 price tag you mentioned. Also, keep you old ones if they are still ok, at least to use for skiing. Just make sure they are clean. It can't hurt to wear an old or a non-100% clean contact once in a while. I have done that many times.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
These sound like they were made for your application:

http://www.spexusa.com/home/index.php
Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
^^cool. I'm thinking about doing a ski camp next summer to get off to a good start on a few different fronts. Need to source the eyewear before then so there's one less thing to worry about. Need to get in shape too -- the camp is supposed to provide some incentive for that lol.

Starting to look around for an 83-85 S & S too. Have wanted one since the mid '80s.