Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-28-2014, 05:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
Please don't bring any negative vibe to such a positive thread. Why do people insist on destroying any kind of creativity? This just hurts our sport. Can't we all just get along?
Don't think its negative but more of the truth. Recall wakemakers posting on here awhile back that they weren't producing such products b/c it was a losing battle. Its a great idea man and it works but to honest man it is making money on someone else's legwork. Not saying its right or wrong but its the world we live in. With that said want to share a bit on the different thicknesses of the backing plates in the hdpe version? I know the 23/32 was a bit think to squeeze in on my x2 with a teak platform so curious if your hdpe version accounts for that. See what seems to be 2 different thicknesses
Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
2 minute install on my xstar.. I wouldn't even think about riding with it on at wakeboard speed. It would still disturb the wake, plus have a lot more force on the boat.

Not saying it wouldn't work to leave it. However I'll just take mine on and off ..
Thanks!! I will do that once I fab up mine
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
Don't think its negative but more of the truth. Recall wakemakers posting on here awhile back that they weren't producing such products b/c it was a losing battle. Its a great idea man and it works but to honest man it is making money on someone else's legwork. Not saying its right or wrong but its the world we live in. With that said want to share a bit on the different thicknesses of the backing plates in the hdpe version? I know the 23/32 was a bit think to squeeze in on my x2 with a teak platform so curious if your hdpe version accounts for that. See what seems to be 2 different thicknesses
I agree but will take it one step further. Here in the USA we pride ourselves on competition and our free market. One of the best inventions were spin offs of other inventions or improvments on those. If I was SS I would feel confident that my lawyers could argue that the creative aspect on my own end was more than enough of a difference than anything else on the market. The idea of a device to make a boats wake more surfable is not new by any means.

However, large companies will tactfully litigate against smaller companies even if they think they might not win. 1. They can afford it, 2. They hope you will get scared and quit 3. They hope you can not afford to litigate.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
Agree with the patent issues as this is basically a Malibu item. You could make them for your own personal use, but once you start making money, it becomes an issue. I'm not saying you are alone in doing something like this, but I would suggest you keep yourself safe, especially this being a tow boat forum that I am sure the competition does read.

Just my 2 cents, but you have more than enough information on this thread for people to understand what it is and how it works. I suggest that anyone wanting to do business do so via private message and do some homework for who you are "giving" these to.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I just wish this device would work for the guys who don't have removable swim platforms
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X 45 with LY6
If you ever get a pattern for a 205 style hull, let me know!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I just wish this device would work for the guys who don't have removable swim platforms
Well I was going to say it will.. But your platform is built into the hull correct? So yea I think your stuck with drilling holes in the glass and putting it on a pin
Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Has anyone made one up for an X14? I would be happy to make a donation (this way no one is selling these).
Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X14. Sold Maristar 210, 1992, 351
Send a message via AIM to jackpita Send a message via Yahoo to jackpita
Made and installed one on my X14DD yesterday. Much deeper pocket with same weight. Significant improvement. 500 between motor and rear seat. ~200 above port rear seat. 350 between motor and port side. Ski locker, port and starboard internals, V-bag under front seats all full. See pics. 3/4 in treated plywood and treated 2x4. Will play with the angle and weight this weekend to get the best wake. Just ordered 3/4 starboard for the finished product.
First pic is of the gate. Second without the gate. Third is with the gate. Will post final drawings.

Two more pics of gate construction.
Attached Images

Last edited by jackpita; 07-30-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnaples View Post
Please don't bring any negative vibe to such a positive thread. Why do people insist on destroying any kind of creativity? This just hurts our sport. Can't we all just get along?
Not being a negative nancy.. just curious if you thought this through....

NSS is nothing like Surfgate, and Malibu went out for them.

thanks mizzme, ill be sure to spellcheck when I'm drunk-foruming. lol

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S

Tags
2002 x-star, 2007 x2, 205v, ballast setup, surf setup, wake plates, wakesurfing