Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Chevy employees need help - 5.3 oil consumption problem

Ok gearheads and Chevy employees.... I have the 5.3 in my 08 Suburban with the Active Fuel Mgmt issue. THe car uses a LOT of oil and this is a known issue. The interweb tells me Chevy is not doing anything for 2nd owners on the matter. The car has over 100K so Engine warranty is gone. The dealer says the fix is new piston heads and rings, but i have seen reports on the internet after the rebuild these still have similar issues. it may cut a 3 q drop between changes to 1, but the problem is still there.

I am asking here because I know there are some service mgr/tech/chevy employees that roam this site and are very helpful. Does anyone have any experience/advice as to what the real fix is here. Any help would be appreciated. the internet is all over the place, and at the end of the day rarely do people post about solutions that work, you only see complaints when things dont.

thanks in advance.

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
I had an 07 Sierra with the oil consumption issue. With 75,000 miles on it truck it was burning 2 qts per 1000 miles. Dealership did the piston/ring/head fix under warranty and I never had another issue with it.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I'm a first owner of an 07 Avalanche and deal with it everytime I drive it. The dealer watched it for a while and checked the oil levels to see if i fit into the bracket of a rebuild, but apparently I didn't. So tick tick tick when starting and sometimes it goes away quick, sometimes not. I did buy that device that turns off the AFM BS to hopefully add more life to it... currently at 88K

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-27-2016, 02:54 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewoods View Post
I had an 07 Sierra with the oil consumption issue. With 75,000 miles on it truck it was burning 2 qts per 1000 miles. Dealership did the piston/ring/head fix under warranty and I never had another issue with it.
Good to hear in a depressing kind of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I'm a first owner of an 07 Avalanche and deal with it everytime I drive it. The dealer watched it for a while and checked the oil levels to see if i fit into the bracket of a rebuild, but apparently I didn't. So tick tick tick when starting and sometimes it goes away quick, sometimes not. I did buy that device that turns off the AFM BS to hopefully add more life to it... currently at 88K
I did not know there is a device for this, how does it attach?

91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 06-27-2016, 03:05 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Good to hear in a depressing kind of way.

I did not know there is a device for this, how does it attach?
It plugs into the diagnostic plug. It may be too little to late, but I need to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technol.../dp/B00BR1R8N8

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-27-2016, 03:07 PM
MC Maniac

ok, I had already been looking into how to turn this off. All i Could find was reprogramming instructions... then I googled AFM Tuner and found one that plugs into the port on the truck with good reviews. Hopefully this will correct the issue without having to dig in the block. Since I dont get smoke and any oily residue on the truck. if not at least whatever damaged is done has been slowed.

Thanks guys

91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 06-27-2016, 03:08 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
It plugs into the diagnostic plug. It may be too little to late, but I need to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technol.../dp/B00BR1R8N8
haha,,, yep thats the one i ordered. Glad to know it works.

91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 06-27-2016, 03:20 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
haha,,, yep thats the one i ordered. Glad to know it works.
It does what its supposed to do but may not help a lost cause. You should also keep the odometer screen on the mileage screen that shows V8 vs V4 mode as sometimes it doesn't prevent it. When that happens, I just unplug it and plug it back in on the fly. Takes care of it for that instance.

I also get long cranking with it sometimes after sitting for a bit.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Last edited by Double D; 06-27-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 98 Anniversary Edition 190
I had an 09 silverado that was consuming oil starting at 36000. Had all the updates done, pistons rings, valve covers, baffles, lifters,ect.. nothing fixed it. It still used 3 quarts of oil in between oil changes and the regional rep said its within limits. They would not give me a new motor or extend my warranty. That was my 7th brand new vehicle from that dealership. It had 65000 when I traded it in on a Ram. Will not own another Chevy.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, X9, 2006, RTP-1
I put a Range in my 09 Yukon at about 52K. Seems to have slowed or helped with the issue. I also had new valve covers and carbon service done. I dont think the valve cover is the real issue. I was consistently at 1qt per 1000 miles. Seems to have slowed my consumption to .5qt per 1000 miles.

Best I have heard is that oil comes off the crank and gums up the piston rings. Once they are gummed up the rings don't move and wear very quickly.

The Range will help burn off any oil in the rings due to the constant heat and combustion process. At 100K on your odometer, I don't think the range will make any significant difference over time as your piston rings are likely worn.

Run it, see if it makes a difference in the next 4k miles or so.